Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffering from Alcoholic neuropathy - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   Hi, I have alcoholic neuropathy....all the classic symptoms, weakness in arms and recently legs. I was managing but yesterday I got burning on the tops of both feet. This pushed me over the edge. Will this ever improve or subside. I had to use a lidocaine patch which I use for my arms. Thought I just had ulnar compression but now I know I was wrong
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please ?
User :   I am 61 years old and male
Doctor :   is the burning sensation constant ?
User :   Well it started yesterday ad I used the lidocaine patch and it subsided a bit but I feel the pain about to break through again and have painful ankles for awhile
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   well you would have to see a neurologist
Doctor :   for a nerve conduction study
User :   I did on the arm in sept and he said mild ulnar problem in the arm but it is anew game now
Doctor :   yes alcohol neuropathology can spread
User :   From what I read there is not much you can do but stop drinking which I did and am taking amitrypline and will start nerontin but I am dying with the feet...any hope
Doctor :   your physician can prescribe you some pain killers
Doctor :   thats all that can be done
User :   They don't work tried tramadol
User :   how can I walk right
Doctor :   painkillers are the only solution and also a nerve conduction will show us the extent
User :   what type of pain killer would you suggest...have read opiates are not much help
Doctor :   it about your body response
User :   stillany good suggestions for this type of nerve pain
Doctor :   a neurologist will be a better person to tell
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor