Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Submucosal resection for bone obstructing the nostril - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   I broke my nose nearly a year ago. Since then I have ha difficulty breathing through on side of my nose as the bone now obstructs the nostril. What procedures would need to be done to reset the bone?
Doctor :   HI,
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
User :   Good evening
Doctor :   Have you confirmed the deformity by an xray ?
Doctor :   Very good evening
User :   No I have not consulted a physician regarding my nose.
Doctor :   get an xray first , to see whether or the extent of the obstructing bone
User :   But it is easy to feel the crooked bone under the skin on one side of the nose
Doctor :   if the bone is obstructing then the resection of the bone endoscopically is required
Doctor :   its called sub mucosal resection
User :   Is that a surgical procedure?
Doctor :   but if the regular bone is removed a defect in the shape of the nose may be created which should be solved by prosthetic bone reconstruction
Doctor :   yes, it is a surgery , andoscopy is a less invasive surgery , but the need of endoscopy or the open surgery ( which is more invasive ) can be made by the severity of the prob by an x ray study
Doctor :   endoscopy*
User :   Is there a possibility that the condition of the nose can now degrade over time?
Doctor :   since its year , i do not think it will resolve by itself
Doctor :   if it was a self resolving then it should be a heamotoma , which will regress within weeks
User :   In the case of endoscopy would a "cast" or splint need to be worn after?
Doctor :   no need of cast or splint since its immobile structure
User :   Ok. Thank you for your time doctor. No further questions here
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me , kindly provide your feedback
Doctor :   bye for now
Doctor :   take care
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor