Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Spasm in the left side of the body,alcohol addiction,treatment - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
User :   I am 26 year old female. For the past 6 months I have had very alarming symptoms that seem to have spread. I have seen 3 doctors about it and nobody has given me any specific answers. I am in incredible shape as I walk at least 10 miles a day morning/night. I am 5'6" and about 110 pounds. As I have now educated myself I fear that my horrible dangerous unhealthy diet for the past years has caught up with me. When I go to the doctor this is never discussed so might be why I am not getting anywhere. I have been a major binge drinking since college and for the past two years I have had a serious eating disorder and been terrified to change it. It has consisted of fiber cereal, frozen yogurt/fruit at lunch and a handful of vegetables at night with a beer. I drink about one beer a night to curb my appetite (humiliating to admit) then I drink with my friends on the wkds but don't eat when I go out. I drink anywhere from 5-7 drinks in a night usually Friday and Saturday. I eat more balanced non-sugary meals on the weekends in the daytime but at night drink my dinner :( As i write this I realize just how stupid this songs but has been something I have struggled tremendously to break out of. Now the symptoms I have been experiencing is a pulsating/spasm not sure if it's vascular or muscular that is primarily on the left side of my body. It happens mostly in my left foot and calf but I can also feel the spasm/blurping in my left arm, back and left neck. I am terrified I am about to have a stroke all the time. I also experience my left hand being colder than the right hand. I have felt the blurp in my heart before as well. I go see my doctor and she has done blood work then says it's nothing to worry about and then I'd go back to my unhealthy diet. I am very scared and have been doing a lot of reading on correcting my diet and learned about the dangerous effects of my sugar
User :   diet. I stupidly thought because I wasn't eating fried, fatty foods my diet wasn't all that bad but have definitely learned otherwise. Any feedback or advice would be so greatly appreciated as I am scared at what to do next?? Thank you so much in advance.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi there
Doctor :   let me read your query
User :   ok thank you
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   now as you think , alcohol (beer) contains more calories than , the foods that you avoided religiously
Doctor :   so Going forward, i would advice you to plan to quit drinking or atleast minimise them
User :   ok i agree
Doctor :   try to control yourself, when with friends and be responsible
User :   i am scared of my symptoms in the left of my body
User :   i am scared that i have a blocked artery
Doctor :   i understand, as these could be due to the effects of alcohol on the nerves, as well as vitamin B deficiency
User :   ok
User :   i have had a lot of blood work and ekg, does that show any artery damage anyhow?
User :   or blockage
Doctor :   so i would recommend you some tests including Serum B12levels
User :   ok i will do that
Doctor :   i dont think you have any stroke or any block in your artery
User :   ok
User :   thank you for your advice. I think the alcohol is most definitely the culprit in general and needs correction.
Doctor :   basically these symptoms could be a feature of nutrional deficieccy
User :   ok
Doctor :   definitely
Doctor :   take good diet , vegetables,, cereals, etc
User :   ok
Doctor :   take vitamin and protein supplements
User :   ok i need to do that
Doctor :   and either join alcoholics anonymous to gain copntrol over alcohol
Doctor :   *control
User :   yea that is probably a good idea for support
Doctor :   and try to be away frm people who make u drink a lot
User :   very very true
Doctor :   instead of drinking beer for celebration, try to drink a milk shake or fruit juice ,e tc
Doctor :   please get blood tests to checkl folic acid , b12, levels
User :   ok
Doctor :   and checked by a doc, for vitamoin deficiency symptoms
Doctor :   this will help you a lot
User :   ok this is great to know
Doctor :   and B1 2 & B COMPLEX supplements will reloieve your symptoms mostly
User :   ok
Doctor :   i hope u ahve understood my advice
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor