Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Small bump in the thumb - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Good Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   I have a pea sized hard lump at the end of my thumb, its very painful and hard, does not move. Ive had it now about 6 months. Any idea?
Doctor :   Hi Dr here
User :   Hi
Doctor :   let me read ur query
Doctor :   May i know what is ur occupation ?
User :   Im a writer, but do not use the thumb for anything
User :   its my left hand
Doctor :   did u have any injury in the hand any time before ?
User :   no, nothing
Doctor :   a hard immobile pea sized lump could be a keloid or a wart
User :   its inside under the skin
Doctor :   But its difficult to diagnose without having a look at it
Doctor :   can u send a pciture of it to XXXXX
User :   its just you can't see anything as its underneath, but I feel the pain if I knock it also you can feel it under the skin
Doctor :   it could be a inflammed tendon as well
Doctor :   if it is painful then a injection of steroid can help to reduce it
User :   would that feel like a solid lump though?
Doctor :   YES a inflammed tendon, can swell up and appear as a hard lump
User :   oh OK, I didn't know tendons could be at the tip of thumbs? I will book into see my GP. Thanks for that. x
Doctor :   the tendons are inserted at the tip of the bone
Doctor :   but inflammation can increase the size of the synovial tissue around the tendons and increase the size
User :   interesting, learn't something new! thanks very much, have a great evening. Best wishes XXXXXXXXx
Doctor :   You are welcome
Doctor :   take care
User :   Bye x
Doctor :   bye for now
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor