Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Skin itching after surgical abortion - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Rash
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
Doctor :   How can i help you?
User :   Hi Dr XXX
User :   my gf had an abortion 2 weeks ago
User :   she broke out in very itchy rash all over her body
User :   the day after
User :   she went to a dermatologist and 2 doctors
Doctor :   Ok what is her age? By which method did she have abortion? Medical or surgical?
User :   diagnosis were either contact dermatitis or allergic reaction to something she took (doxy antibiotics)
User :   28, surgical, with general anesthetic
Doctor :   Ok
User :   they gave her mythylprednisolone
User :   it calmed her skin with minor itching, but she's done with the course and the rash came back in full force
Doctor :   For how long did she take medications?
User :   6 days
User :   in tapering dosage
User :   she can barely sleep at night due to the itch. gold bond barely soothes her itch for 10 minutes
Doctor :   When did the rash came back?
User :   the evening she finished her last 4 mg dose, which was to be taken that morning
User :   which was yesterday
User :   heat definitely makes it inflamed and more itchy
Doctor :   Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.
User :   the rash is now full on her torsal, especially bad where her bra and underwear is. arm and legs are very minimal
Doctor :   1)Apply Caladryl lotion for itching relief.
User :   caladryl works less than goldbond as it provides no relief for her right now
Doctor :   2)Use aloe vera gel layer on the affected areas and leave for an hour then rub ice over it. Do 3 times a day.
User :   we tried, aveeno, and oatmill. gold bond is the only thing that provides any relief
Doctor :   It seems she has got this allergy from some foreign substance
Doctor :   Ok
User :   i see
User :   we were guessing allergic to the doxy, or perhaps even the general anesthetic used. would that be possible? and usually how long does it take to get it out of the system?
Doctor :   If all things are not helping at all then you need to get her investigations like Skin scraping tests done to evaluate it.
User :   i see
Doctor :   It can be due to GA used or any antibiotic or any other medication.
Doctor :   Since she already had a course of medications and it did not help it needs a proper investigation .
User :   would a general practitioner or a dermatologist be more ideal for investigation?
Doctor :   It is better to consult dermatologist
User :   ok. but does this osund like something that usually would eventually clear up (since its allergy)
User :   or would it be something that requires medication to get it out of her system
User :   we already try to investigate on if its something that is everyday in our house. but we've even went out of town this past week with no help
Doctor :   In contact dermatitis mainly methylprednisolone is given but since it did not help may be she may require injectables along with oral medications.
User :   steroid injections you mean?
User :   i see
Doctor :   No she could have contacted it during the surgical procedure. There is nothing like to get out from system since it is contracted by just contact.
Doctor :   Yes Steroid Injections.
User :   I see. Thank you. Well one last question.
Doctor :   She may require long term treatment.
User :   Whats the best way to search for a good derm
Doctor :   Please proceed.
Doctor :   Where are you based on?
User :   XXX area. seems most dermatologist are for cosmetic procedures
Doctor :   I am sorry i cannot help you with dermatologist since i am based in India.
User :   I see. ok thank you.
User :   good bye.
Doctor :   If you want you can take an opinion from our panel of specialists.
User :   sure
User :   how do i do that
Doctor :   You can place a request on our site after selecting from our panel of dermatologists
User :   ok. i'll try that. thank you. bye
Doctor :   And you have to pay 00$ for that
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me, bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor