Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Skin discoloration around groin area - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Skin discoloration around crotch.                                                            
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hello.
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   please describe your symptoms in detail
User :   Sure
User :   I'm 17 and I've noticed for a year+ that I've had brownish green circular patches around my crotch area. I am male.
User :   They are flat and really just look like skin discoloration. They do not itch and they do not hurt or cause any bother to me, except for looking different
User :   I am sexually active, but I've had them since before I had engaged in sexual intercourse.
Doctor :   ok
User :   Any idea what it could be?
Doctor :   if they do not have any associated symptoms, you can leave then alone
Doctor :   it usually happens due to friction
Doctor :   avoid using tight undergarments
User :   Could it be a disease of some kind?
Doctor :   the skin discoloration can happen with grwoing age, and sexual activity
Doctor :   some amount of hormonal changes are also responsible for it.
User :   Is there some way I can get rid of it?
Doctor :   it will need to be examined first however
Doctor :   to make sure they are not due to any skin infection
Doctor :   and if no infection is found, then you can continue with home measures like
Doctor :   1) avoiding to wear tight undergarments
Doctor :   2) avoid friction, keep the area dry and clean
Doctor :   3) use antifungal powder in the affected area
Doctor :   4) use vinegar or lemon juice in affected place, leave for few minutes, and wash it and keep area dry
Doctor :   it will help to reduce discoloration a bit
Doctor :   but if you get itching or burning while using the above said home remedy, avoid using it again.
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
User :   I have
User :   thank you
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with?
User :   may i ask one more question please?
Doctor :   yes, please proceed
User :   Im looking now.
User :   And it seems almost directly on one of my pubic hair follicals
User :   it is a smallll bump thats sort of itching right now
Doctor :   ok
User :   it is very very very small though
Doctor :   is it bigger compared to other follicles?
User :   yes
Doctor :   then it might signal an infection
User :   it looks like i can see the opening of the follical
User :   like the whole is bigger
Doctor :   do not try to pop it, report to your PCP
Doctor :   and get it treated
Doctor :   you might need to be prescribed oral and topical antibiotics
User :   Could it be an ingrown hair?
User :   Well thank you for everything. You have helped.
Doctor :   it cannot be said for sure since I am not examining you personally
Doctor :   after examination it will be clear what exactly has hapened.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries. Please refer your friends to our service.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor