Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Skeletal muscle spasms - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   hello i am having severe cramps in lower sides of ribcage, started a couple weeks ago.i'm fine until i am twisting to clean myself after a bowel movement,than wham feels like someone stabbed me in my side, i end up standing in the bathroom for ten minutes afterwards with my arms over my head trying to stretch, if i put my arms down the muscles contract on their own, after awhile it subsides until i try wipe again. i am a white male 35 i am 5'10 and around 300 lbs.                                                   
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   let me read
User :   hello
Doctor :   do you get the sharp pain in the rib cage if you take deep breath
User :   no, only when i twist and try and reach back
Doctor :   can you specify the exact location of the pain
Doctor :   is it in front or in the side or in the back near the spine ? right side or left side
User :   it is about halfway down between armpit and hip on ribcage at the halfway point of ribcage"where arms hang" feels like muscle cramps, just never had them here before only in legs and arches of feet
Doctor :   it is the spasm of the intercostal muscles
Doctor :   not to worry much
Doctor :   these cramps do take time to clear and it will cause pain only in specific movement
Doctor :   try to avoid the specific movement which causes the pain
Doctor :   OTC analgesic like ibuprofen 400 mg after food for 3 days
Doctor :   in a weeks time the pain should go off
Doctor :   if it persists than you require skeletal muscle relaxants and they are prescription drugs
User :   ok will try the ibuprofin regiment , if it does help i'll see my doctor, thanks for your help!
Doctor :   thanks for consulting healthcare magic
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor