Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned about inflamed, bruised, and hurting feet caused by playing footall? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 25-Mar-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2586 Questions
User:I had a thrombits/phlebitis a few weeks ago in my left side of calf area. It didn't heal for 3 weeks and was black and blue. Tonight I got nailed with a softball. It is imflamed, bruised, and hurts really badly. I can hardly put pressure on my put when I stand up. Should I be worried? Go to ER? I have a lot of health problems so I am worried. Thank you.
User:Hi! I'm in a lot of pain. I dont know if I should be worried.
Doctor:Before we discuss, did you take a pain killer medicine?
Doctor:You should take one now.
User:I don't have a pain killer
Doctor:Advil or any brand of ibuprofen if you have them with you.
Doctor:If not, you should start icing the area.
User:could thi sbe a blood clot
User:I am icing and elevating
Doctor:Now, are you able walk around?
User:not really...I mean I am walking. But it is killing me to. It's hard to put pressure on it
Doctor:Let me brief you.
User:did you see the pictures
Doctor:Venous blood clots and inflammation occur when a lib is immobilized or following an infection.
Doctor:The injury may have caused muscular inflammation or even a bruise
Doctor:which is causing the pain.
Doctor:rarely such injuries lead to minor fractures causing the pain.
Doctor:I would not be concerned about blood clots or thrombophelebitis in this case.
Doctor:The choice to visit ER depends on how severe the pain is.
User:i feel a lot of pressure when I walk on it. feels very strange
Doctor:you can anyway try over the counter pain killers to ease out the pain and then take a choice to see the doctor.
User:im not concerned about alleviating necessarily. just about it being serious. and when i can exercise again.
User:alleviating pain i meant
Doctor:Though I wasn't able to retrieve pictures that you may have sent
User:I feel a lot of pressure like there is a huge weight/ball in my calf when i walk
Doctor:I can tell you that there would be lot of edematous and swelling from this injury.
Doctor:the pain killer medicine will help in relieving those inflammatory exudates
Doctor:and ease out the pain.
Doctor:I am not very concerned if you are able to relieve some of the pain either through icing or by medicines.
Doctor:Hope it is clear to you.
Doctor:Do you have any questions?
User:so what if the pain doesnt go away with meds?
Doctor:Pain killers will definitely be able to bring the swelling and pain down.
Doctor:I suggest my patients to try them for 2-3 days and rest well to fasten the recovery.
User:ok thanks
Doctor:Is there any other query that you wish to ask me?
User:is it safe to exercise on it
User:Im supposed to go to trainer and on eliptical tomorrow and play tennis in the evening
Doctor:Once the pain is down and you can start mild stretching after couple of days.
Doctor:If you have a sport event tomorrow.
User:so not tomorrow?
User:what is mild stretching?
Doctor:I mean the stretching exercises or walking and moving about.
Doctor:If it doesn't hurt you can try the sport.
Doctor:But I would definitely urge you to wait for couple of days before turning up for exercise.
User:ok thanks
User:will exercise make it worse?
Doctor:Yes, when the inflammation is active.
User:oh shoot. ok! hopefully it goes down quickly then
Doctor:So you will know if you are able to tolerate the exercise through those stretching, walking and other activites.
Doctor:Continue to be on pain killers for 2- 3 days.
User:thanks. have a great night
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor