Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Shin splints and treatment - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   can i ask you a question its to do with my leg
Doctor :   yes
User :   ok it has been over 2 and half months right now i had been to hospital but i had no xray only nurse look at it and said i had shin splints... but i still have lump just below my knee but i get pains in muscle all over plus behind the knee when i walk can it all be down to the fact of my shin splints? i have to see someone about it soon but i am really worried
Doctor :   I have to close this chat window as you have moved out of the chat. Please log in again if you need further medical advice.
User :   i was running on it and went down bit too hard on my left i think
Doctor :   are you there
User :   yes sorry
User :   can you tell me anything about it may it be caused due to my shin splints?
Doctor :   Where is hte pain
User :   it is just below the knee like a lump when i touch the bone also in muscle calf like stabbing pain in my upper leg also the knee
Doctor :   How large is the lump
User :   not too large it was bigger a while ago
User :   but i can feel it when i rub my leg down
Doctor :   are you a runner or sp0rts person
User :   yes i was just kind of starting running
User :   i had been doing it about 2 months
Doctor :   Does this started after you started running
User :   its just i am worried because the pain in muscle how long can it take to heal?
User :   yes
User :   i had been running quite good and it happened
Doctor :   Is it along the inner aspect of the leg
User :   on my left leg below knee on the bone there also bit of pain on other side of shin bone
User :   shin
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   It looks more like Shin splints
Doctor :   The nurse could be right enough
User :   erm how long can it take because due to pain i get in the muscle
User :   i am worried
Doctor :   All you need is Rest, Ice packs where it hurts
User :   are u sure .. it has been like nearly 3 months
Doctor :   yes
User :   and i mean it has gone down alot
User :   i havent been doing nothing anyway
Doctor :   I can say you a tentative diagnosis
Doctor :   becausse i have not examined you
Doctor :   anyway you want to get yourself examined
Doctor :   Get yourself
User :   yeah i am going to see a authapeedic on 23 sept
User :   just have to wait i am just worried i have done damage o something
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   but you can try these
User :   oh ok thanks for your help anyway
Doctor :   Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort
User :   ok
Doctor :   but don't give up all physical activity.
Doctor :   Apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four times a day for several days.
Doctor :   Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night.
User :   thanks
Doctor :   Have you filled the feedback form which I have sent?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting Health care magic. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor