Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Severe body ache during periods, menstrual disturbance, chest pain. How to get relief? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 11-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:I have a query related to my wife's health
User:she was suffering from spondilysis
User:recently she has complained of severe body ache
User:this used to happen on a monhly basis during the time of her periods
User:and would usually last for a day
User:she used to have heavy bleeding earlier
User:and as advised by a gynac had done a D & C around 2 years ago
User:the flow did not improve after the D & C
User:she also mentioned that her periods were delayed recently
User:this body ache seems too much recently
User:yesterday she also complained about a pain in the chest
User:which was also felt in her arm
User:we thougt of going for an ecg, but since the pain subsided later, did not go
User:no pain was felt thereafter till today
User:what can be done for the body ache?
Doctor:You have reported few concerns about your wife:
Doctor:1. Spondylosis which is already diagnosed
Doctor:2. Body aches which occur on a monthly basis.
Doctor:3. Menstrual disturnbances
Doctor:4. Recent chest pain.
Doctor:Since the first is already known, I will not discuss about that.
Doctor:About the second, body aches; May I know if they occur in relation to periods always?
Doctor:And does it subside with periods?
Doctor:*I mean after period?
Doctor:Does she run fever, suffer with nausea/vomiting or any other symptoms along with the aches?
User:she feels an XXXXXXX sort of fever, although the body is not hot externally
Doctor:Let me brief you.
User:feeling of vomitting is not common
Doctor:Let me address the second concern now.
User:sometimes though she does feel nausea
Doctor:Since you report her bodyaches are related to periods, it is most likely possible that the cause may be her period disturbances.
Doctor:Every time a women bleeds, the breakage of tissue within the uterus releases certain chemicals
Doctor:which can produce various symptoms including bodyaches, abdominal cramps, nausea, headache, irritability and so on.
Doctor:The severity of symptoms is directly proportional to the amount of flow she has.
Doctor:So in your wife's case, I believe if we can treat her menstrual irregularities, then her bodyaches should reduce.
Doctor:Are you with me?
Doctor:Now, regarding menstrual irregularity or rather the heavy flow can be triggered by multiple factors.
Doctor:Has she been evaluated for that - blood hormone tests, pelvic examination, ultrasound or hysteroscopy?
User:we did a full checkup last year, including a PAP smear test ,etc
User:It did not reveal any thing abnormal
User:I forgot to mentioned that she is diabitic
User:her recent sugar level was around 170 in the morning (fasting)
Doctor:Uncontrolled diabetes can affect peripheral nerves, but has limited effects on menstrual problems.
User:she has regular medicines for diabeties
User:Metafort and Gylocomet
User:could the sugar levels cause the body ache?
Doctor:Menstrual problems are purely related to other hormones such as FSH, estrogen and progestrone and other uterine conditions such as fibroids, endometrosis (adenomyosis), DUB or even uterine polyps.
User:she also complains of breathlessness
User:quite often recently
Doctor:These factors needs to be checked by a qualified gynecologist.
User:we intend to go again
User:she had seeen a gynac earlier and got a D & C done
Doctor:Excessive bleeding can also lead to anemia. And anemia itself can cause other symptoms such as low appetite, breathing difficulties, weakness, tiredness and so on.
User:she used to take iron tablets earlier
Doctor:And diabetes perse can cause localised burning/pain. Systemic/generalized pain is unlikely to be related to diabetes.
Doctor:Therefore to summarize, it is likely that solution to her body aches would be identifying the cause of excessive menstrual bleeding and treating it.
Doctor:The treatment can be in the form of hormonal pills, repeated D&C or removal of uterus.
Doctor:Her last complaint about chest pain is probably an independent entity related to heart burn, angina or other muscular ache.
Doctor:It needs further evaluation in the form of heart check, threadmill/stress test, echocardiogram and so on.
Doctor:Hope I have answered all your queries.
User:on the breathlessness, what could be the cause. It happens very often...especially when she goes to sleep
Doctor:The causes of breathlessness is classified as lung causes, heart causes and other systemic causes - anemia, sleep apnea, acid base imbalance or psychological conditions.
Doctor:Occasionally patients suffering with heartburn do complain of difficulty to breathe.
Doctor:Based on the data provided,the cause could related to one of the systemic causes.
Doctor:We can have more clues regarding the causes through investigations.
Doctor:I would suggest you to visit a qualified gynecologist nearby.
Doctor:She can perform some basic tests that include hemoglobin check.
User:yes, would you sugest any tests
Doctor:It is always better to suggest investigations after a face to face physical examination especially when there are many symptoms spread across the body are associated.
Doctor:This would avoid both over investigation as well as under investigating.
Doctor:To start with the test can begin with complete blood count and ESR.
Doctor:It can proceed to ultrasound abdomen and serum FSH, estrogen and progestrone analysis
Doctor:I recommend you to consult the gynecologist first and later proceed with investigations.
Doctor:Hope it is clear to you.
Doctor:Do you have any doubts?
User:no. Its okay for now...We shall see a gynec and proceed with the tests later
User:many thanks for your time
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor