Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Schizophrenia, 56 years - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Schizophrenia
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   Sir

My Mother aged 56 years had lost interest in house hold
chores, shows disinterest in work , talks to her self walking in
house.I am concerned about her health condition.To give a brief
background , I am the only son to my parents and my father expired 5
years ago.It was after demise of father she developed further
depression due to which she was unable to concentrate on work.She
stays alone in house when I go to office and she keeps thinking
deeply about her state wondering why she was born in this
world?Please suggest what can be done in this case. .She was using
sulpitac 400mg twice,parkin and modalert .I found that there was
improvement in her behaviour previously and was able to perform her
house hold chores to some extent.But , since 10 days , I
observe that though she is using these drugs she is again back to her
normal (thinking,depression) etc.will change in medication help her
health condition as the anti depression drugs take some time to get
habituated with persons body.Please let me know what could be done.

Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read it
Doctor :   Yes
Doctor :   The cause for her condition could either be
Doctor :   Not taking the drugs appropriately(which you are assuring not) &
Doctor :   she is getting resistant to the current dosages
User :   ok
User :   does the change in medication help her situation
User :   i am planning to change the doctor will this help and can this illness be curable quickly
User :   current doctor said she has schizophrenia and she has to be on medication for long time
Doctor :   Instead of changing the Doctor
Doctor :   you can take a second opinion
User :   my mother is very much reluctant to come to doctor
User :   ok
Doctor :   from a different psychiatrist
User :   so , should i continue with same doctor and consult another
Doctor :   Yes your current
User :   like which doctor's medication can be used
Doctor :   Doc is right
Doctor :   she needs life long medications
User :   how can we decide on who is correct
User :   first one or second one
Doctor :   Inform both Docs that this is a second opinion
User :   ok
Doctor :   follow what the second says
User :   ok
User :   how much time it will take to cure this
User :   i am bit concerned abt her
User :   and at times she is suffering from sleep disorder
User :   what do u suggest
Doctor :   It definitely does not show immediate results
Doctor :   you must start treatment and wait for a few days atleast
User :   can counselling help her
User :   ?
Doctor :   She must be on antipsychotics lifelong
Doctor :   No
User :   will these be lethargic
User :   and cause drowsienss
Doctor :   Its only drugs & change in environment that helps
User :   ok
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor