Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Rhematoid Arthritis, taking arava and folitrax - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Arthritis
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1776 Questions
User :   good Rheumatologist
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   hi docter
User :   i have having rhematoid Arthritis and taking medications
Doctor :   Ok

User :   currently taking Arava and folitrax (methoxy)..
Doctor :   Ok
User :   would like to know if it is safe to planning for kid
User :   from the research papers, i see both medication need to be stopped
Doctor :   May I know your age and gender?
User :   27, Male... i have having RA since 10 years
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me brief you.
User :   ok
Doctor :   One of the risk factors for rheumatoid arthritis is a gene known as HLA - DR4.
User :   ok
Doctor :   There are minute chances that gene can be transmitted to your kids, however
Doctor :   the exact chances of this happening is unknown as the pattern of transmission is not known.
User :   oh ok
Doctor :   Hence there are chances that you may transit the condition to your kids.
User :   ok... is it possible to avoid by any chance?
Doctor :   The drugs can cause teratogenic effects, but that is only a worry in women.
Doctor :   The best chances that you can prevent the transmission is by continuing your treatment regularly as advised by your rheumatologist.
Doctor :   alternatively get the genetic counselling done
Doctor :   to verify the presence of the affected gene.
User :   do we have any specialist for this ?
User :   how much would it cost approximately for this testing?
Doctor :   You need to consult a genetic counsellor for gene counselling.
Doctor :   Few centre such as Manipal hospital have such facilities.
User :   ok.. do you recommend any docters for rheumatology in bangalore?
Doctor :   Since the cost will depend on the institution, I may not be able to give you the exact figure, hence
Doctor :   I would suggest you to consult your rheumatologist, who will be able to advise better in this regards.
User :   or is it possible to meet you in person?
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   This link has details of 4 wellknown rheumatologist practising in bangalore.
Doctor :   You can consult any of them depending on the proximity to your location.
Doctor :   I would suggest you either Dr XXXXXXXX or Dr AAAAAAA
User :   ok, thank you very much
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   i think i need to meet the docter in person for Gene checkup
User :   but is there any known complications in the child birth/fertility for me when taking drugs like Arava, Methoxy
User :   * for MEN
Doctor :   Immunosuppresants can reduce fertility, however, this can only be confirmed by spermanalysis.
Doctor :   The need for these evaluations, both genetic counselling and spermanalysis can be determined after a physical examination alone.
Doctor :   Hence I would suggest you to consult your doctors/rheumatologist prior to getting these checkups done.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   yeah.. superb service
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   i think this is sufficient for me for the next steps
User :   thank you much once again!
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now.
User :   have a good day... bye..
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor