Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Resuming normal activity after spinal injury - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Brain and Spine
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1776 Questions
User :   Dear Sir, One of my cousin fell from building (Age 37, Male)
At that time his back has damaged and all the spinal discs disturbed, then he got operated and all the discs relocated and support with two screws. Now he is able to sit in wheel chair, but he bottom half of body has no sense.
He does not have sense to go for urine and not able to lift his legs and he is always laying on the bed.
Doctor has told us that his main nerve has cut at the bottom and he will get back to his normal life any more
We have following quires
1 Is there anything can be done to him to get normal things?
2. can you suggest any hospital and doctor to consult for any further treatment
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Dr xx here
Doctor :   Let me read your query
User :   ok
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   Now since the history, given indicates, damage to spinal cord, and lower limb paralysis, recovery is limited and will take more time
Doctor :   Long term physiotherapy, will help him over a long time to gain muscle movements
Doctor :   but the best way is self motivation
Doctor :   it he tries to do something on his own, and over time he may be able to move with help, or do some routine daily self care activities, with supervision
Doctor :   regarding the second query, it depends on the place you reside
Doctor :   where is the patient currently reside?
Doctor :   are u there ?
User :   he is in Vijayawada in A.P
Doctor :   facilities for rehabilitation, of a patient with spinal injuries are limited , but can be available in major district hospitals, and private institutions
User :   we can take him any where in india for treatment
User :   can you please suggest some good hospital or doctor
Doctor :   In that case, Appolo hospitals in hyderabad OR JIPMER pondicherry,
Doctor :   AIIMS (NEW DELHI) - physical medicine and rehabilitation center
Doctor :   MIOT in chennai - is also a good center
User :   which specialist we can show him
Doctor :   any physician in dept of physical medicine and rehabilitation
Doctor :   in association with orhopedic care
Doctor :   Mr XXXXXXXX Om, hyderabad, neurophysiotherapist
Doctor :   0000 is the phone no
User :   ok
Doctor :   or you can also, look for any neurophysiotherapist in vijayavada, having done masters in physiotherapy, as well
Doctor :   check out LATHA SUPERSPECIALITY HOSPITAL in vijayavada, as well
Doctor :   you can get some help there as well
User :   ok
User :   is this the case also come under Physicist Dept.?
Doctor :   if You mean physiotherapy , then yes
User :   ok
Doctor :   Do u have any more query?
User :   How about NIMHANS , Bangalore?
Doctor :   Nimhans is also a good place
Doctor :   but i think , chennai, or hyderbad will be nearer
User :   do you have idea where and which dept i can consult there?
Doctor :   where ? In NIMHANS ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Same, Physical medicine and rehabilitation center
User :   ok
Doctor :   and neurophysiotherapist
Doctor :   You can check the web
User :   ? ?
User :   check on web?
Doctor :   yes, the website of NIMHANS,
User :   ok
Doctor :   where you can get most doctors names and OPD timings as well
User :   ok
User :   Thank you so much for informations.
Doctor :   you are welcome

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor