Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Restless Leg Syndrome,Swelling of hands - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   my wife has pain & swelling in fingers, she is 29 yrs old
Doctor :   any injury?
User :   no
Doctor :   How long has she been having this problem?
User :   about 6 months, it subsides some times, but not completely gone
Doctor :   which finger/ fingers is affected?
User :   almost all the fingers, i got her rh factor, uric acid tested, these are normal
Doctor :   Does she have difficulty in movements? Is there anytime particular time that the swelling is more/ less?
User :   yes she feels pain in movement, there is no particular time i suppose ?
Doctor :   did you mean RA factor- what other tests have you done? did you see a specialist ?
User :   yes RA factor & uric acid, no not seen a specialist yet
Doctor :   Is the pain more in colder weather/ when she gets up early in the morning- and improves as the day goes on.
User :   i am not sure on this
Doctor :   did you get a test called ESR- erythrocyte sedimentation rate done?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok- who prescribed the test for you- the RA factor and uric acid?
Doctor :   Did you get an X-ray taken?
Doctor :   R u thr?
User :   just got it tested, no xrays taken
Doctor :   Your wife will require a physical examination by an Orthopedic ans a few more tests- and an X-ray-
User :   are u an orthopedic
Doctor :   depending on the results of the test- the orthopedic will treat you or may refer you to a super specialist- Rheumatologist
Doctor :   No I'm a general practitioner
User :   ok i would seek an appointment with an orthopedic then
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   Is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   yes if u have a few more minutes
Doctor :   sure
User :   i myself feel a bit weak & have pain in my legs, esp. the calf muscles
Doctor :   To get a better picture I need this information--
Age: ; Occupation:
User :   the pain is not much, slight slight but may be i have this for years now
User :   32 yrs, on a sitting job 10 to 7 , no excercise
Doctor :   what is your ht/wt?
User :   5'7 " / 57 kgs
Doctor :   Do you get he pain only after physical exertion? or at any other particular time?
Doctor :   your ht is 57 inches?
User :   no it remains constantly
User :   ht 5' 7"
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   Is it more in the nights? is it more of a discomforting feeling or pain?
Doctor :   r u thr?
User :   yes more in night & i think it is more of a discomfort
Doctor :   do you feel better if you move your legs- like just shaking them/ or do you have to get up and walk around before you feel better?
User :   yes i think i get a bit relief when i stretch my legs
Doctor :   Is your sleep affected by this problem?
User :   no no
Doctor :   do you smoke?
User :   no no
Doctor :   You could probably have a condition called the restless leg syndrome
Doctor :   the exact cause of this problem is not known
User :   what should i do then ?
Doctor :   It is nothing to worry about- but since you have this problem for a few years- get your legs examined by the orthopedic when you take your wife
Doctor :   he will just do a physical examination to check if the blood supply is alright
User :   ok i'll do that
Doctor :   You only need to seek treatment for this problem if it disturbing your sleep- or interfering with your daily activities
User :   also i need to gain some weight
Doctor :   ok
User :   any multi vitamins
User :   google sir...
Doctor :   you can improve your wt through diet and exercise
User :   my diet is limited, i can take more...
Doctor :   fro a multivitamin- it will help improve yougeneral health
Doctor :   *your general
Doctor :   are you vegetarian/ non veg?
User :   so u dont suggest a multivit, i am non veg
Doctor :   you can take a multivitamin like Becadexamin/ or a high quality vitamin like Riconia- for 1 month
Doctor :   but it will not work wonders or help you put on wt- it can improve your gen health status
User :   thanks riconia / riconia silver are same ?
Doctor :   As you do not get daily exercise- you can gain a lot of benefit from exercise
Doctor :   at your age Riconia is enough
User :   ok i'll take it for a month & also try some excercise
Doctor :   eat a high protein snack like fish or chicken sandwich half an hour before exercise
Doctor :   for helping build muscle
User :   ok
Doctor :   Is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   i think i have taken enough of your time
Doctor :   you are welcome; Thanks for consulting Health care magic. Bye for now.
Doctor :   Hi

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor