Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Red sore under head of penis, skin split in foreskin - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 602 Questions
User :   Red sore under head of penis, as pull foreskin back, looks like the skin has split ,what remedy is ther to help this heal..?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   how long have you had this issue ?
User :   infrequently for 3 months
Doctor :   you mean on an off since 3 months ?
User :   it heals then reappears, do not have unprotected sex
Doctor :   do u have had multiple such lesions ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   do they hurt a lot ?
User :   it is as if the foreskin is tight and pulls
User :   no pain
Doctor :   do they appear like ulcers ?
Doctor :   ok
User :   yes could be
Doctor :   do u have such ulcers in the oral cavity as well ?
User :   have been trying to keep the area dry
User :   no ulcers anywhwere
Doctor :   any symptoms like dry eyes, ?
User :   i have contact lenses that do get dry
User :   time to time
Doctor :   ok
User :   no multiple lesions
Doctor :   in that case, application of a steroid cream will help quick healing
Doctor :   try a ointment of triamcinolone
User :   is the cream readily avaiable across the counter
Doctor :   triamcinoline acetate to be specific
Doctor :   Yes , in the name of TOPICORT
Doctor :   you can use that, and this will reduce the recurrent cuts
User :   ok is it a general cream
Doctor :   yes
User :   or specific to genitalia
Doctor :   it is OTC steriod cream
Doctor :   it is a cream applied to mucus membranes , not to skin
User :   ok regular should this be applied
Doctor :   twice daily will be good
User :   for how long
Doctor :   as long as the cuts last
Doctor :   but it will help heal within a few days
User :   it is only one cut under the head as you pull back the skin
Doctor :   thats is fine
User :   what is the cause
Doctor :   since you had recurrent cuts, you can use it again, if it occurs
Doctor :   the cause is inflammation or sore skin due to mucositis
Doctor :   the other cause could be injury during intercourse
User :   what is mucositis, apologies for the questions but like to know, any preventative measures I can take
Doctor :   its a inflammation of the skin of the glans penis or the prepuce
Doctor :   this is called balanitis
Doctor :   sometimes during intercourse, the delicate skin gets cut , and secondary infection can cause worsening of the cuts
User :   yes that has happened after intercourse the skin seems to separate and the sore/cut is the foreskin is too tight..
Doctor :   in that case, the main cause is lack of lubrication during sex
Doctor :   try to use , water based lubrications like KY jelly
User :   but i have never had this problem before... is it an age thing? i am 51
Doctor :   this will help prevent them totally
Doctor :   this can occur to anyone and at any time
Doctor :   not age related issue
User :   ok so in conclusion I should b ble o get the Topicat feom any pharmacy across the counter
Doctor :   you did not have this issue earlier , due to natural body lubrication
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   you should get it at any pharmacy
User :   ok, I believe i may have uncontrolled diabetes so would this will also be a cause ?
Doctor :   no
Doctor :   this is not due to diabetes
User :   ok
User :   many thanks doctor, i hope the cream works and have not had unprotected sex for a long while so it will hopefully rule out and std
Doctor :   yes, this does not seem to be a STD
Doctor :   YOU are most welcome
Doctor :   take care and have a good day,
Doctor :   bye for now
User :   many thanks again..
Doctor :   you are most welcome
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor