Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Recurrent lymph node enlargement - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Infections
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   my husband has had gland pain (neck, underarms and groin) for two years now. It comes and goes, worse when very hot out. Touching him hurts when he has the pain.                                                                 
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   I am Dr....
Doctor :   Let me read your query first
User :   hello, the pain started when we came back from vacation to .... june of 08
Doctor :   Do you mean they become worse when the temperature rises hot?
User :   yes, when the weather is hot it is worse
User :   he tested negative for cancer cells, autoimmune disease, mono - we don't know what kind of doctor to go to even
Doctor :   Ok
User :   neg for lyme disease too
Doctor :   Did the doctor say something like Generalized lymphadenopathy?
Doctor :   What is his age?
User :   no diagnosis was given
User :   he is 42
Doctor :   What is the frequency of the pain ?
Doctor :   or the episodes in a year?>
Doctor :   Are you with me?
User :   he will be fine for a month, then have 3 months of constant pain - it's very random, no rhyme or pattern that we can figure out, aside from the more he exerts himself or the hotter the weather it is the worse he feels
Doctor :   Which group of lymph nodes / glands involve the most?
User :   throat/neck
Doctor :   Are they biopsied?
Doctor :   and send for pathology report
User :   no, what type of doc would do a biopsy
Doctor :   Biopsy is done by a General surgeon
Doctor :   and sent to the Pathologist for the opinion on guidance by the Hematologist
User :   what should they check for?
Doctor :   So hematologiist should refer for biopsy
Doctor :   Biopsy can check for abnormal features of the lymph gland and which can help in knowing the cause or the pathological diagnosis
Doctor :   This can help to know the diagnosis retrospectively
Doctor :   or prospectively
User :   so we make an appt with a hematologist and ask them to do a biopsy?
Doctor :   The biopsy would better during the involvement of the node
User :   so do it when he is in pain?
Doctor :   The Hematologist can guide you on that
Doctor :   Any changes in his weight and appetite?
User :   ok, just didn't even know what type of doc to go to
Doctor :   keep a track
User :   not really changes of weight or appetite, but he has been super tired and crabby
Doctor :   Keep a track of fever, note their readings in the book
Doctor :   during the episodes
Doctor :   Actually it is a critical way to diagnose such illness, but doctors with good clinical acumen shall be able to do it
User :   he doesn't have fevers all the time with it, it's very random
User :   what do you think it might be?
Doctor :   Even then keep the track of them, record their day, time and temperature
User :   ok
Doctor :   I cannot comment about it
Doctor :   without examining
User :   ok, thanks I will look up a hematologist and make an appt for him
Doctor :   Right
Doctor :   Keep all his records tight
User :   we will have a biopsy done and hopefully get to the bottom of this, thank you so much for your advise.
User :   I will get his records of tests done, thanks
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   bye
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor