Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Recuperation post surgery for Osteoarthritis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Arthritis
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   been diagnosed with early osteoarthritis,though i did not find the examination to thorough just dont want to find out it something else later when i could have done something about it earlier.started about three and half years ago with hot swollen red knees for month or two but since then it has just been pain and lately stiffness comes and goes though more frequent past year or so.There is not much of a pattern sometimes no pain sometimes all through the day sometimes now and again.i am 37 years have been a XXX most of my career.If it is OA how long does it take from early OA to needing surgery.would i be able to continue working after knee surgery.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   Let me read the query.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Do you still persist to have redness over the joint?
User :   no not any more
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical problems?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Let me explain to your queries.
Doctor :   These symptoms probably are due to osteoarthritis.
Doctor :   The progress of osteoarthritis cannot be predicted.
Doctor :   It depends on the stress and the strain that you exert over the joint.
Doctor :   Continued wear and tear with low calcium can sure land you in more troubles and probably surgical treatment.
User :   i am not over weight.will stopping smoking and reducing alchohol help
Doctor :   However restriction of work, analgesics and improved diet ( diet rich in calcium or calcium supplements) can delay the progress of the condition.
Doctor :   Smoking and alcohol does not play a major role in the present condition.
Doctor :   I am talking about the pressure you exert due to work.
Doctor :   This is particularly important when you are in acute pain.
Doctor :   Are you following?
User :   ok what sort of diet am i looking at aprt from calcium
User :   poss vit adce
Doctor :   Food products such as milk and milk products, egg, green vegetables, almonds, fish, fish liver oil, cereals and fruits are all good source of calcium and other minerals.
Doctor :   Include these in your diet.
Doctor :   It is also important that you use analgesics when in pain and give adequate rest to the knee.
Doctor :   Rest refers to restriction of the movement of the joints.
User :   is it important to keep exercicing are analgesics for pain or anti inflam
Doctor :   I would suggest you to get a physical examination by an orthopedician and you may probably need a X-Ray to determine the present condition of the joint.
Doctor :   Mild exercises are fine, but not when you are in acute pain.
User :   if pain not to acute will going for walks to relieve stiffness help
Doctor :   Yes, they are effective.
Doctor :   With these measures, you would be able to avoid surgery.
User :   ok so take it easy on the knees,eat more healthy,phisical exam ok doc thanks for that.take care. XXX
Doctor :   Do you have any other query that I can assist you with?
User :   no,thanks.bye
Doctor :   Please fill the feedback form too.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor