Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Rashes and redness on the penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   my son has redness aroundthe head of his penis and he had a scab.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello, my son is driving me crazy
User :   he's 11 and has the redness and some missin skin that looks like a scab taken of'
User :   i meant taken off
Doctor :   ok
User :   wht's the deal with the redness. is this hygene (SP) ? Because he's has ecently fallen out of love with water
User :   i meant deal
User :   i meant recently fallen out with water
Doctor :   Since when have you noticed this redness?
User :   last week
User :   i ut vaseline and cold/ot compress
Doctor :   Do you feel the redness is increasing in size?
Doctor :   Did he have a blister before the skin peeled away?
User :   i guess, ow do u get a blister down there?
Doctor :   Where exactly is this located?
User :   on the front part about 2-3cm from the red ring b4 u reach the head of the penis
Doctor :   Do you mean its on the foreskin or is on the glans?
Doctor :   Or the shaft of the penis?
User :   ok. yes. the shaft
User :   he says i burns and hurts.
Doctor :   Is it itching?
User :   no
Doctor :   Does he have any other medical problems?
User :   nope. all shots up-to-date
User :   could the scab be a case ofgetting it caught in a zipper?
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   Without a physical examination, it hard to predict the exact cause /nature of the illness.
User :   thx. understand tht
Doctor :   However based on what you describe there are 2 possible causes
User :   ok
Doctor :   1. He may have injured it while zipping
User :   ok.
Doctor :   2. It can be a sign of an allergic reaction/infection.
User :   waht kind of infection?
Doctor :   It can be a viral or a fungal one secondary to lack of hygeine.
User :   u mean allergic to detergents? i only use fragrence free.
Doctor :   The probability of infection is unlikely and the first 2 are more likely.
Doctor :   Let me suggest you few measure that should help you
User :   ok. that woul be great.
User :   would
Doctor :   1. Skin the skin has got peeled away, infections can settle on it.
Doctor :   hence use local antiseptic creams such as neosporin or silver sulfadiazine creams on it.
Doctor :   2. Do not cover the area.
Doctor :   3. Avoid very tight under garments
User :   ok. use neosporin on the skin tht got peeled? i dd that he said i burned.
User :   so wear boxers instead of briefs?
Doctor :   The burning sensation will reduce over a period of time.
User :   ok. this is for the rednes area too?
Doctor :   Yes tight undergarment will aggravate the condition.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Yes over the area of the redness too.
User :   thx so'v been very helpful
Doctor :   4. Watch out for itching, increase in the area of redness,
Doctor :   if such symptoms occur then you need to see a doctor.
User :   ok. and watch the bathing, right?
User :   thx again
Doctor :   You may clean the surrounding area
Doctor :   but avoid using water on the exposed area.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.

Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor