Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Rash, skin turning purple on using medicines for yeast infection on rectum - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   I have been using nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide ointment USP for the past week on my rectum cause of a yeast infection and now my skin is all purple. ever since i started using it is was burning the parts of my skin that was not infected. now for the first time in a week i developed a bad rash and skin is all purple now. should i stop using?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello there
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
Doctor :   Let me read what you have typed.
User :   ok
Doctor :   What symptoms were you having initially?Were these medications prescribed to you? Also may i know your age?
User :   I am a 23 year old male and my symptoms were burning prickly sensation on the flap of skin between my testicles and rectum. It was like that for about a year and a half i just never went to a doctor. Then I finally did and he prescibed me the medicine and looking it over saying he did not see any herpes or anything that would resemble it. I have not once had a blister or sore or anything. Not even a rash until yesterday.
User :   my butt cheeks never burned until i started putting this medicine on
Doctor :   Has the burning ans prickly sensation been controlled? Are there any other symptoms other than this?
User :   it has just been controlled with goldbond and hydrocortizone over the last year or so for comfort. and no other symptoms. no trouble peeing and going poop. no discharge no bleeding no blisters no sores no nothing
Doctor :   Allergy. burning, pain, rashes, itching and eczema are some of the common side effects of these medications. Are you applying it for more than the prescribed times?
User :   I am not applying it more then I am supposed to. But what I dont understand is how come the part of my skin that hurt the most is feeling better and has no burning sensation or itching or rash but the inside cheeks are burning like crazy all of a sudden? It really did not hurt before I was just putting the medicine all around the area just in case.
User :   applying it 3x a day like doctor has told me
Doctor :   Since the infected part has healed up and you are feeling better but either the medication has been applied in other parts also which are not affected.
Doctor :   Or it may be that the infection has spread to inside areas.
User :   I swear i do not remember it hurting on the inside areas. I just started taking the medication september 16th and gone through 1 and a half tubes. It seems like when I put the medicine on the areas that did not have an infection the rash is growing on that
Doctor :   Since you are having sensitization in other areas i will advise you to discontinue the application and get it examined once by your treating doc if other areas are being affected.
User :   well I do not have insurance at the moment since I have just turned 23. so in the mean time what can i do? should i see a dermatologist?
User :   my doctor is kind of a hot head so seeing him for the same thing 2 times in 2 weeks is not fun
Doctor :   Also you may require investigations like cultures or KOH smears to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment accordingly as it has been long since you have this infection.
Doctor :   Yes you should see a dermatologist as it can be Tinea infection which in the long run if not treated can affect other body parts.
User :   Right now I am just using gold bond to relieve the burning and it works just hate having to apply it alot.
User :   what is a tinea infection?
Doctor :   You can use goldbond for time being but it is not the ultimate treatment
User :   is there anyway i can send you a picture of the rash to see what you think? because like i said for the first time ever since i have started to medicine a rash has developed.
Doctor :   Tines is a fungal infection of the skin and can affect other areas. It grows in a ring like fashion and spreads very easily
User :   i have never had a ring like fashion though
User :   today was teh first day i noticed a rash. literally the first time ever
User :   ever since i started the medicine it was burning a lot and i had to put goldbond on also the relieve the burning
Doctor :   Yes you can send me the picture at YYYY@YYYY .
User :   ok one second I am sending it to you now
Doctor :   Tinea infection can be of different types and affects mostly those areas which are moist. When it occurs in groin and surrounding areas it is known as Tinea Cruris.
Doctor :   The rash in this is itchy and painful and mostly affects men.
User :   i am sending it right now
Doctor :   Ok
User :   it is under the email Mmagot
User :   YYYY@YYYY
Doctor :   I will check
Doctor :   1)Do not wear too tight undies.
Doctor :   2)Keep the infected area dry
Doctor :   3)Keep different towel for cleaning the area
User :   ok
Doctor :   4)Never let sweat collect in the area
User :   for how long? and what do you think it is?
Doctor :   I am checking, mail has not come to me
User :   YYYY@YYYY
User :   correc
Doctor :   Yes
User :   i did not put anything in the subject so hopefully you get it before my time is up
User :   am i able to extend my time if i have too?
Doctor :   Yes it seems like a fungal infection only and you require some oral medications and topical medications for it
Doctor :   Yes you can extend the time.
User :   so it does not look like herpes or anything? like i said I have never had a blister or anything
Doctor :   Dies it have white scaly rashes kind also?
Doctor :   Does not seem Herpes as such.
User :   doesnt seem like it. my hair folicoles are really red also.
Doctor :   In the picture some white scales are visible. Are thay present since beginning?
User :   today is the first time i have noticed the rash
User :   i just recharged for 15 more minutes
User :   should I stop using the medication since that might be causing the rash?
Doctor :   It can be Psoriasis also in that case, i will advice you to get some investigation like KOH smear and skin scraping test done.
User :   ill tell you this. yesterday was the first day it really started to hurt. before that it always looked normal except for the red line underneath my testicles where the skin was infected before
Doctor :   Since the white scale like thing suggestive of Psoriasis
User :   can that stay with you for ever until it is treated?
Doctor :   Did that area ever have any foul smelling discharge?
User :   and where exactly in the picture does is look like Psoriasis?
User :   no foul smelling. just the usual sweat smell when i was active
User :   no discharge either
Doctor :   Yes it requires proper treatment as the infection can spread to other areas.
User :   would a dermatologist most likely know what it is just by lookng at it?
Doctor :   Dermatologist would probably suggest you some investigations to confirm the cause whether it is tinea, psoriasis or just candidial infection.
User :   in the mean time they can give me medication to make it better corrrect?
Doctor :   Also it may be that the application of the prescribed ointment may have caused such scales to appear.
Doctor :   Since you are saying that it was not like that before
Doctor :   Yes he may prescribe you some oral and other topical ointments in the mean time.
User :   so would you suggest I stop with the medication? and yes only the perineum was infected before and that is not hurting anymore
User :   I just dont understand why the medicine would do that
Doctor :   Yes it would be better to stop the medication as it is causing you other effects.
User :   ok good then I will stop it until i see a dermatologist. i will make an appointment tomorrow
Doctor :   The pain, burning,itching and rashes are some of the common adverse effects of it.
Doctor :   Yes it is not an emergency but yes it requires urgency so it will be better you see the dermatologist tomorrow itself
User :   so heres a question. could the entire infection be cured just the medicine is causing the rash?
User :   and the dermatologists out here are always appointment only
Doctor :   Also the medications would be required for long so please do not discontinue the treatment in between
Doctor :   It could be
User :   oh if the dermatologist gave me the medicine i would take the entire treatment
User :   does it seem like it could be cured and I could go back to having a normal butt
User :   again
User :   as funny as that sounds
User :   it would be couple days to a week before i can see one. so ill just stop the medicine and use the goldbond to relieve the burning. that sound like a plan doc?
Doctor :   Yes surely it can be cured, just take some precautions as i advised you like no sweat accumulating, keeping it dry
User :   its starting to get cold in XXX so i will just take it easy for the next couple days until i see a dermatologist
Doctor :   You can use goldbond as it would not cause any adverse effects.
Doctor :   Ok thats fine.
User :   I thank you so much for everything. I will stop the medicine and consult a dermatologist and get this cured. Thank you. I have really never had a rash and this just sucks
User :   You were so helpfun
User :   helpful
Doctor :   Wishing you Good Health
Doctor :   Take Care
User :   thank you so much.
Doctor :   Thanks for consultation
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   is there a survey i can do for u?
Doctor :   You can fill the feedback form after the chat.
User :   i will thank you so much. have a good evening
Doctor :   Thanks and Good Evening to you too
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor