Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Rash in the diaper area, cough and rumble in chest - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3621 Questions
User :   My son is two years old and yesterday he got a rash on his bouttom. Today he woke up with cough and some congestion that is getting worse he has some rummbling in his chest that you can hear and fell when he breaths and talks. Yesterday and today he woke up around 1:00 in the afternoon. Should I take him in to be seen or is this just something that will pass with time.
Doctor :   hi.
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here. Let me read what you have typed
Doctor :   since the rash is associated with fever, I would recommend you to get him examined
Doctor :   where did the rash first appeared? could you describe it in detail?
User :   He is not running a fever
User :   It is only on his bottom
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   do you use nappies for him or cotton clothes?
User :   we use dippers
Doctor :   ok, then it could possibly be a diaper rash too if only his buttocks and genital area are involved
Doctor :   you can use asootheing lotion like Caladryl to soothen them
Doctor :   and avoid use of diapers for a few dayd
Doctor :   *days
User :   ok I can do that
Doctor :   use cotton pants or loose briefs like clothes for him
User :   What about his caugh and the rumbling in his cest
Doctor :   the rash should subside
Doctor :   the cough andrumbling could be due to a possible chest infection which needs to be examined and
Doctor :   he should be started on antibiotic syrups to control it
Doctor :   along with a cough syrup
Doctor :   to alleviate his symptoms of cough, you can give him pediatric Benadryl syrup
Doctor :   2.5 ml 2-3 times a day, get him to inhale steam, such that the sputum inside can loosen up and be brought out
Doctor :   which would aid in clearing the infection sooner
User :   with him getting worse and also having a midle case of asamia should I take him in to the docter tonight or should I waight there is a afert hours peds clinc in my town
Doctor :   if the child is getting worse, i would recommend you not to delay
Doctor :   take him immediately to get his symptoms controled
Doctor :   prolonged bouts of cough in small children can lead to rapid reduction in oxygen supply
Doctor :   and push them into more problems
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
User :   yes
Doctor :   are you giving him any medications now?
User :   I have givin him Childerns tylenol cough and runny nose as directed on the lable and by his PCP in the past
User :   he has had two dosses today
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   you can give maximum of 3 doses a day which should be spaced out
Doctor :   are his symptoms getting controlled with this?
User :   No not at all. He just keeps getting worse and the rummbling in his chest is what is bothering me the most
Doctor :   the rumbling in the chest could be a Croup, which occurs due to any viral infection
Doctor :   if he is not getting breathless or blue in peripheries, then he is fine
Doctor :   but if he is getting these, then you should take him to ER immediately
Doctor :   where oxygen therapy will help him to get better
User :   ok
User :   is it ok if I let him sleep so late like he has been doing the last two days
User :   yesterday and today he woke up around 100 in the afternoon
Doctor :   it is fine to let him sleep
Doctor :   as he would be fatigued, and needing the rest
Doctor :   but he should be woken p to give food and medications on time
Doctor :   which wil aid in faster recovery
User :   ok
User :   Thank you very much
Doctor :   is there anything else you would like to ask me?
User :   no not off the top of my head
Doctor :   Please fill the feedback form say done when done
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor