Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Query about varicose veins - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   My wife has a bruise right above her left knee that has faded to the color of her skin so you have to look closely to differentiate it from her natural skin color. She suffered the bruise in July and since has complained about vericous veins in that area. What could it be?
Doctor :   hello
User :   Hello
Doctor :   give me min
User :   sure
Doctor :   may i know her age please ?
User :   she is 38
Doctor :   does she has any other medical condition ?
User :   Last year she was very immobile from November to mid February due to a septic SI joint which became infected during childbirth. She has since recovered; however she had not been very mobile during those months and was taking different forms of steroids and anti inflammatory drugs.
Doctor :   and the problem of varicose veins ?
Doctor :   is it confined to just that area ?
User :   Over the summer she hit her knee, which bruised very quickly but took some time to get better. The are in which the bruise happened is still noticeable but only if you are really looking as it is almost the color of her skin tone. Shortly after suffering the bruise she began to complain about the veins in that area.
Doctor :   any pain at that area now ?
User :   No pain, just discomfort on occasion and her veins look like varicose veins.
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   now what she needs to do is that she needs to get get her blood tested for any bleeding abnormality
User :   Would this require a specialist? What types of bleeding abnormalities?
Doctor :   we would have been more concerned if there was pain or multiple bruising over the body . or a bruise with no history of injury
Doctor :   as these are indications of a disorder
Doctor :   but in you wife case she might be having just normal bruise or a small weakness in the vein in the area
Doctor :   but we do recommend as a protocol to get blood tested in long standing cases just to rule out anything serious
User :   So with this coming from a blow to that area, what kind of abnormality could it be? She has never had a problem with bleeding. I guess the concern is that it is still somewhat visible even though it occurred in July.
Doctor :   at times the culprit just turns out to be the area having a thin skin
Doctor :   which is absolutely nothing to worry about
User :   If she were to go see a specialist, what kind of specialist should she see?
Doctor :   she can see her GP
User :   I think the worry is that she does feel some discomfort from time to time and it is visible that her veins resemble varicose veins.
Doctor :   a physical examination is of course must, but from the history you have told me it looks less serious
User :   So there would be no worry of a blood clot or something of that nature?
Doctor :   the reason i have advised you blood test and a physical examination is so that we can rule anything of that sort
User :   Ok. Is it possible for a clot to linger for that many months?
Doctor :   a clot will cause pain
Doctor :   thats characteristic
User :   Well there is no significant pain that area so hopefully it is not a clot.
User :   She is able to walk and put her weight on it and she only complains of discomfort occassionally.
Doctor :   yes, i am sure it will turn out to be nothing of that sort but then we should take precautions
Doctor :   dont worry just set up an appointment and you will be fine after the examination
User :   If she would like to see a specialist what kind would you recommend?
Doctor :   a hematologist is the physician for it
User :   I do remember the area swelling almost immediately after the injury, with bruising shortly thereafter. However, the swelling cleared after a few days.
Doctor :   thats a normal way for it
User :   ok. Thank you for chatting with me today. I will share everything that you have said with her.
Doctor :   your most welcoemn
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor