Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Query about vaginismus - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   how can i help you ?
User :   I already submitted my question -- do I need to repeat it?
Doctor :   its not showing here
Doctor :   can you tell again please >?
User :   ok, I am a 60 year old woman with a life time of healthy sex relations - suddenly, I am no longer able to tolerate penis penetration, although fully aroused and producing profuse lubrication. What might be the problem?
Doctor :   sine when you have been facing this ?
User :   Only for the last few weeks
Doctor :   ok well what you is called as
Doctor :   Vaginismus
Doctor :   where there is involuntary tightness of the vagina during attempted intercourse. The tightness is actually caused by involuntary contractions of the pelvic floor muscles surrounding the vagina.
Doctor :   Vaginismus can also develop later in life, even after many years of pleasurable intercourse. This type of condition, known as secondary vaginismus
User :   Can you explain a cause or a treatment?
Doctor :   Vaginismus is highly treatable and a full recovery from vaginismus is the normal outcome of treatment. Successful vaginismus treatment does not require drugs, surgery, hypnosis, nor any other complex invasive technique
Doctor :   the cause is not really fairly understood
Doctor :   the first step we advice is the use of Dilators
Doctor :   When used properly, vaginal dilators are effective tools to help eliminate pelvic tightness due to vaginismus. Dilators provide a substitute means to trigger pelvic muscle reactions
Doctor :   This should be done under the direction of a sex therapist or other health care provider and treatment should involve the partner
User :   Can you tell me if there are specialists in this field?
Doctor :   a gynecologist will be able to guide you
Doctor :   dont worry like i said this condition is completely curable
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor