Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Query about muscle pains - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello, Doctor
User :   Hello
User :   I got hit by a car Tuesday last week
User :   It wasnt a hard hit since it just happened in a parking lot
User :   but i fell down on my knees and hurt my right knee
User :   i got bruises the next day
Doctor :   Ok
User :   it hurts when i bend down and when i walk
User :   i thought it would go away, but last sunday, my entire leg (not only my right knee) started to hurt
User :   it's like the pain isnt anymore coming from the bruises. its like coming from deep beneath the surface
User :   the pain radiates down to my right calf and ankle
User :   do you think theres something wrong with my right leg?
User :   it hurts also when i stand for long periods
Doctor :   Ok, when you actually fall, the neighbouring muscles of the area go into spasm and start hurting after one day of accident
Doctor :   This is the protective mechanism taken by the muscles
User :   but its been a week now
User :   is it still normal?
Doctor :   Yes, it usually should go off in a week
Doctor :   by taking good care of the injury and hot fomentation of these hurting muscles
User :   i was thinking of going to a doctor and have an x-ray done. do you think there is still a need for that?
Doctor :   If the injury is deeper and if you fall on a surface which is potentially carries dust
Doctor :   then the chances of infection increase
Doctor :   Then you need an Xray and a course of antibiotic to clear off
User :   no there was no open wound
Doctor :   Ok then there is no scope of infection here
Doctor :   Let me ask you if the soreness is reduced since then?
User :   sometimes i get awake at night and feel my leg hurt
Doctor :   Did you apply ice packs when you were hurt
User :   no i did not
User :   i think it's getting worse
Doctor :   The healing is delayed
User :   it's much painful today than it was last week when i got hit
Doctor :   If it is getting worse, then it is good to get a check up by doctor
User :   and the pain is throbbing, it is pulsating, if you know what i mean
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   It is not worrisome condition
Doctor :   You need a prescription drugs called Muscle relaxants
Doctor :   to ease the pain
Doctor :   By taking these medicines for two days, you should get well
User :   and when i walk, i feel like my knee joints have lost this lubricant thing between them, like their crushing against each other
User :   okay
Doctor :   But do you think there is pain at the joint when you flex or extend the knee
User :   do you know why the pain radiates down to my ankle when it was only the knee that got hurt?
User :   no pain when i extend it. only when i bend
User :   and when i stand up from bending, it hurts too
Doctor :   Where does it pain when you do these movements above the knee or below the knee, front or backside of the leg
Doctor :   Is the area swollen, red ?
User :   im not really sure since i feel it in the entire knee area, but i think the pain comes from the backside and the right side (since i got hit on the right side of my leg)
User :   it is not swollen, just bruised
Doctor :   Ok, you just need muscle relaxants
Doctor :   for a couple of days
User :   are those over the counter?
Doctor :   Does hot showers help for some time?
Doctor :   There are not over the counter
User :   im not sure if hot showers help but i think so
User :   so i really need to see a doctor then?
User :   to get a prescription
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   For tonight try out with hot shower and apply ice packs and take ADVIL 400mg
User :   but will i be okay even if i dont do these things?
Doctor :   Do you mean muscle relaxants
User :   yup
User :   and the ice packs and advil too
Doctor :   Try out the above and it does not then you need muscle relaxants definitely
User :   if i see a doctor, do you think he/she is gonna do me some tests? like xray or something?
User :   hello
Doctor :   You do not need an Xray as I feel
Doctor :   But if he examines and finds something wrong
Doctor :   then you will refer for them too
User :   okay
User :   one last question
Doctor :   yes
User :   do you think i should inform the driver about this?
User :   the driver of the car
Doctor :   The care drive who drove you
User :   yes
Doctor :   If there is something wrong on doctor exam then yes
Doctor :   you shoudl inform
User :   okay.
User :   thanks so much dr mazumdar!
Doctor :   Thank you
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   i thought i hd a fracture or something
Doctor :   Get a speedy recovery
User :   thank you!
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor