Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Query about glycosylated hemoglobin - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Diabetes
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   hi
User :   hi as a part of our bi-annual health check i realised that my blood sugar level's were very high i re-did the test but the same result persists...both fasting and after 2 hours...i also did another test ( i do not know the name of the blood test) but the result was 8.1%
Doctor :   The other test is probably glycosylated hemoglobin test.
User :   yes
User :   i did it lat thursday
User :   i have cut on all sugar products
Doctor :   Ok
User :   since the 1st test but the level remains the same
Doctor :   May I know your height and weight?
Doctor :   Do you have family history of diabetes?
User :   my dad & mum were also detected for diabetes recently
Doctor :   Ok
User :   dad is 73 yrs
User :   mum is 67
Doctor :   Have you seen a doctor with the reports?
User :   nope
User :   ht - 5.5"
User :   sorry 5.2"
User :   wt 60 kg
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me brief you.
User :   yes
User :   my age is 31
Doctor :   Glycosylated hemoglobin is an indicator of how long your diabetes has been and how much controlled they are
User :   k
Doctor :   The normal values for the same test is under 7.
User :   k
Doctor :   Since, they are high, you definitely seem to be having diabetes.
Doctor :   Hence you will need treatment.
User :   k
Doctor :   As you might have known, treatment here will be with the use of medical drugs and dietary measures and exercises,
User :   yes
Doctor :   Hence, I would suggest you these
Doctor :   1. Continue with low calorie diet.
User :   that would be...
Doctor :   You can take the help of our nutritionist through get a diet plan service that is available to you
User :   ok
Doctor :   2. Consult an endocrinologist/diabetologist
Doctor :   who will follow up your sugar levels
Doctor :   and if they are not getting under control
Doctor :   then you will need medical drugs/insulin to control the sugars.
User :   is the level that bad that i will have to take insulin
User :   u there
Doctor :   The need for insulin will depend on what the type of diabetes you have
Doctor :   Type 2 diabetes which is more common are usually treated with medical drugs,
Doctor :   medical drugs(oral hypogylcaemics) are generally effective,
Doctor :   however few rare individuals may need insulins.
User :   ok
User :   i had done the test in 2006 at that time there was no sugar
User :   the test done this year showed high levels of sugar
Doctor :   Diabetes is a chronic condition. The exact cause why this happens is not known
Doctor :   There are gene factors, environmental factors/dietary factors that may have triggered the high sugars.
Doctor :   Hence, I cannot predict why this has happened in this short interval.
Doctor :   I wouldn't suggest you to get concerned/worried about why this occurred.
Doctor :   Stress and anxiety can have adverse effects both on increasing the sugar levels and hamper the treatment plan.
Doctor :   I would suggest you to be positive, get the evaluation done.
Doctor :   With proper sugar control, you will be able to lead as normal life as any other individual.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor