Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Psychiatric counseling for avoiding attraction towards the same sex - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Mental Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
Sir, i am a medical student from XXX. I am going through a big problem. Since i am 12, i've always had a feeling of sexual attraction towards the same sex. i used to think that as the age progresses i'll be normal. I am 21 now, but still there are no changes. Infact my body has shaped out in quiet a feminine pattern, onto it i've got a crush over one of my best friend of same sex. Now all these things make me feel so conjusted. I couldnt expect my parents to understand this. Many times i feel like getting my sex changed. But what about my parents then, they wont be able to cope up with it. Also the boy whom I am in crush with is straight and he doesnt feel anything like this. All these worries and excessive sexual desperation for that person, not only deprive me off the concentration in my studies but also I am unable to live happily!! Please help i'll really be thankful to you!!
Warm reguards..                                        
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read your query
User :   Thanks sir
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   You mentioned about feminine characteristics
Doctor :   can you explain that?
User :   yes sir, ok its like feminine chest
User :   kin of gynaecomastia
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   May I know your height and weight?
User :   80 kgs
User :   165cm
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   You are a bit overweight
User :   Yes
Doctor :   and thats why you see fat deposition in your chest
Doctor :   that is not necessarily gynecomastia
User :   but i ve seen others also overweight they dont ve distribution of fat like this
Doctor :   Do you get stimulated by females, have you any time?
User :   no sir
User :   but definately for males
Doctor :   Ok
User :   this feeling makes me fight with myself
Doctor :   How about your voice, hair distribution?
User :   Voice is normal and hair distribution i am not sur about
Doctor :   Like, presence of chest hair, beard, moustache, etc?
User :   beard, moustache is normal
User :   no chest hairs
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Now, first of all, this has to be tackled psychologically
User :   ok
Doctor :   for that you shall need help from a Psychiatrist
Doctor :   that is the main reason behind it
User :   yes, i thought ur a psychiatrist
Doctor :   I am a General Physician with experience in psychiatry
Doctor :   and you shall need a personal consultation
Doctor :   for the right treatment to be initiated
Doctor :   this is a psychosexual issue
Doctor :   and can be handled
Doctor :   Do not get perturbed by it
User :   Sir i am afraid to see a psychiatrist in my college
Doctor :   I understand that
Doctor :   anonymity is required
Doctor :   but there are other places
Doctor :   outside your college which you can do it
User :   ok
User :   but is the condition manageable??
Doctor :   Yes, it can be
Doctor :   no problems with it
User :   ok sir, i'll then definately see a psychiatrist. Thanks alot for your help and confidence!!
Doctor :   You shall be put for certain sessions of counselling
Doctor :   and also medications if required
Doctor :   if the psychiatrist does feel the need for medications
Doctor :   then clinical psychologist is the best therapist for your problem
Doctor :   I hope so, it is clear
User :   Can u suggest such in XXX??
Doctor :   Sure
Doctor :   Give me a minute
Doctor :   Meanwhile please fill the feedback form
User :   I am done with it sir!!
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   You can use our search engine
Doctor :   and also just dial
Doctor :   Dr XXXXXX     
XXX - 0000
Doctor :   XXX 0000
Doctor :   I hope that this would be sufficient
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor