Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Progesterone pills to regulate menstrual cycles - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   How can I help you
User :   hi
User :   I am currently on Triphasil to regulate my hormones
Doctor :   Please tell me in detail
Doctor :   to assist you better
User :   if I remember correctly the doctor said I have a lack of some hormone, that does not allow my period to be regular
User :   as when I started with my period I was 16 years old
User :   and use to get it 2 weeks at a time
Doctor :   OK
User :   and therefore the triphasil was given to regulate it, now I would like to know how long will it take for me to fall pregnant after going off the triphasil.
User :   as I have been using it for 11years now
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   The hormone you are deficient are progesterone
Doctor :   normally the prog supplements are given to induce periods
Doctor :   the hormone is given for 3 to 6 months
Doctor :   to regularise the periods
Doctor :   and if not then the person is tried to put on Oral contraceptive pills for regularise periods
User :   yes
User :   I was told initially to be on it for 6 months to regulate it
User :   but then when I went off it after the 6months
User :   after 4months I started to bleed irregular again
User :   and therefore went on and off it for a couple of times
User :   and then it was decided I should stay on it as it will continue with this roller coaster ride
User :   my concern is
User :   if I have a shortage of progesterone
User :   will that affect me wanting to get pregnant
User :   ??
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   it will affect
Doctor :   unless there is progesterone the pregnancy is not mainatined properly
Doctor :   then the doctor will supplement it
Doctor :   to maintain it
Doctor :   upto 12 weeks of pregnancy
User :   so will I have to get injections for this?
Doctor :   Did yu doc suggest it
User :   no
Doctor :   here should have been repeated miscarriages in the past and there should be documented luteal phase defect (i.e. progesterone deficiency).
Doctor :   the hormone is not given usually
User :   I have a gynae appoinment on the 5Sept
Doctor :   without these two
Doctor :   That is good
Doctor :   you can ask these question to her
Doctor :   DO you have luteal phase defect
User :   cause i need to know when I can go off it and how this will work
Doctor :   How to get pregnancy when there is absence of progesterone
User :   I have no idea
Doctor :   That is why you put these questions to her
Doctor :   DO you have luteal phase defect
User :   I think sometimes the doctors confuse one with the medical terms
User :   lol
Doctor :   is one
Doctor :   is the second one
Doctor :   How to get pregnancy when there is absence of progesterone?
User :   ok
Doctor :   Then she will explain you in detail
User :   thanks for the help
Doctor :   what is her course of action
User :   as I did not know what exactly to ask
Doctor :   Please fill the feedback form say done when done
Doctor :   Pl confirm your details
User :   yes
User :   that is correct
Doctor :   Is there any thing else that I could help you with?
User :   not now thank you.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting Health care magic. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
User :   ciao
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor