Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Problems about several infections caused by liver enzymes - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
Doctor :   hello
User :   Hi doctor
User :   i had flu-like symptoms 11 months back and i was tested for hep A, B, C, HIV and monospot and all came negative but i still have some symptoms re-occuring till now such pharyngitis, skin burning and skin itching, red eyes, strong urine color, blurry vision...
Doctor :   are these symptoms constant ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please ?
User :   male 38 years
Doctor :   there was a technical problem
Doctor :   sorry
User :   it's ok
Doctor :   dont worry i will answer all your query
User :   besides all my blood test are normal
Doctor :   i see
Doctor :   do you have any other medical problem
User :   no
User :   till now nobody told me what kind of infection i had and what's going on with me
Doctor :   i can understand your concern
Doctor :   and with all your tests coming normal
User :   yes only the test for liver enzymes ALT was high (90) during ongoing symptoms
Doctor :   do you consume alcohol?
User :   but now it is normal (30)
User :   no
Doctor :   when was the last you had all your tests ?
User :   3 weeks back
Doctor :   ok
User :   one doctor told me it is a virus but the tests did not confirm it
Doctor :   a virus infection cannot be for so long
Doctor :   are you taking any medications ?
User :   no
Doctor :   you got an ULTRASOUND abdomen done
User :   yes
User :   it came normal
Doctor :   all ok ?
Doctor :   i see
Doctor :   it can be a allergic reaction
User :   on what?
User :   and why now after the infection?
Doctor :   as the immunity can be low
Doctor :   you saw any specialists ?
User :   specialist for what?
Doctor :   i want you to see a dermatologist
Doctor :   for the skin burning and itching
Doctor :   you have reported
Doctor :   you need to get some antibody tests done
Doctor :   as we really need to pinpoint the exact cause
User :   like what?
Doctor :   these are called antibody titre tests
User :   may be i did
User :   can you tell me the name of the test?
Doctor :   it will help us to rule out any auto immune disease
User :   oh yes i did the test
Doctor :   thats the test name antibody titre
User :   it was negative
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   well still you need to see a dermatologist
User :   but what about the other symptoms?
User :   other than skin burning and itching
Doctor :   i see them as interconnected and we have to start from one by one
User :   Doctor, based on your experience what could have initially caused my flu-like symptoms?
Doctor :   well to be honest with you , i am unable to say as the most probable causes have already been ruled out by the extensive tests you have undergone
Doctor :   thats why i would like that we should now approach one symptom by symptom
User :   I forget i have also swollen lymph nodes in the neck and the scalp
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   well like i said lets go one by one
Doctor :   so you should see a dermatologist first
User :   ok i will see one asap
Doctor :   thats good
Doctor :   i wish you a speedy recovery and once the cause is found you will be treated
User :   i still have one question please
Doctor :   sure
User :   is it possible to have a problem with the liver even if the liver enzymes are normal?
Doctor :   well it can
Doctor :   as these enzymes are not 100% specific
Doctor :   like i said the chances are low
User :   ok
User :   thank you Doctor
Doctor :   your most welcome
Doctor :   take care
Doctor :   good bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor