Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Problems about radiating pain from shoulder to breast - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   I have been having pain in my right shoulder blade that radiates around to my right breast. I m worried about breast cancer. Any help ?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   may i know your age ?
User :   This is not for me but my girlfriend who is sitting here now, thank you.
User :   she is 43
Doctor :   and how long have u had this issue ?
Doctor :   that is fine
Doctor :   does she ahve any enlarged lyph nodes in the axilla ?
User :   off/on over a year. she worksout alot.
Doctor :   ok
User :   she does breast exams all the time
Doctor :   the best way to evaluate this condition is a mammogram, and after the age of 40, yearly mammoogram is adviced
Doctor :   were they done ?
User :   I try to massage the area of the shoulder blade and try to get under she does have some knots
Doctor :   and if done , what were the results ?
User :   she goes tomorrow am, right now very upset
Doctor :   does the pain come on, when she compresses on the afffected areas ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   does the pain increase on moving the arms ?
User :   and shoots down her arm and fingers go numb
Doctor :   this could be due to musculoskeletal pain , or neurologic pain associated with nerve root compression in the vertebral column
User :   yes it increases when moving the arms and nipple is iritated when she wears certain bras
Doctor :   does she feel any masses in her breasts ? which have appeared recently ?
User :   ok, she is fairly new to working out. I thought this was associated with muscle strain, pull, ect
User :   no
Doctor :   In that case, she need not worry at all
Doctor :   most of her pain, could be due to reasons not associated with the breast
User :   ok, do you think she should see a chiropractor. She has fatty cells . she has to go every 6months for ultra sound
Doctor :   no need to go to her chiropractor
Doctor :   she should see a regular doctor, for evaluation of the severe pain she has
User :   what can she do to relieve this pain?
Doctor :   can she give me the severity of pain on the scle of 1-10
User :   pain varies 5 to 10 depending on what she is doing. sometimes no pain
Doctor :   in that case, taking ibuprofen would help
Doctor :   if not better medications for treating neuropathic pain like gabapentin, or cymbalta may help
User :   ok, I will tell her to stop panicing and we will try the ibuprofen
User :   thank you very much. She is much more relieved.
Doctor :   you are welcome
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor