Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Problems about alchololism - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3619 Questions
User :   Hello Doctor, I am 30 year old. Since June 2010 I am Suffering from allergy from achohol. Anytime I drink beer, whiskey or vodka my face goes red, I feel nausia, I feel problem in breathing, heartbeat goes fast & I feel weak. Although, I am occasional drinking, I don’t want to quit drinking forever. Please suggest a medicine or a way… Thank
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello doctor, hope u have read my ques
Doctor :   let me go though your query
User :   sure
Doctor :   these symptoms are due to the slow metabolism of alcohol in the body
Doctor :   and since the levels of alchol increases, you will see the physiological symptoms as u are experiencing currently
User :   my face becomes flushed, my heart beats faster and my temperature goes up (my skin radiates heat).
User :   even if i take 1 drink, I get problem
User :   or u can say when i start drinking I face this issue
User :   even though I drink very less
Doctor :   yes, thats coz, your bodys metb rate to remove alcohol is very slow
Doctor :   this is a genetic issue, where enzyme production by the body, to metabolise alcohol, is slow
Doctor :   i would suggest, you, that if u cannot cut down alcohol you should slow down the rate at which you drink it
Doctor :   so that the body has ample amount of time to metabolise it
Doctor :   & as a matter of fact, there is no drug, to increase the metb of alcohol,
Doctor :   But the symptoms like elevated HR, etc can be stoped by having prescription meds, usually given for HIgh BP,
User :   please suggest a medicine
Doctor :   but when a person with normal BP, takes it, it can lead to low BP and other issues
Doctor :   Try Evion 400mg
Doctor :   THIS pill can help increase the metabolic rate of the body, and may help reduce the severity of symptoms
User :   how should i take it? before drinking? or everyday
Doctor :   once a day will help
User :   do u think allegra will work?
Doctor :   no its not going to help
User :   I have tried it but sometimes it works and sometimes it does not
User :   u r right
User :   any other suggestion other than Evion 400 mg?
User :   i should try Evion till how many days?
Doctor :   there are pills that can reduce the symptoms, but will cause issues like impotence, reduced sexual drive, and all , which may not be helpful
Doctor :   one month
Doctor :   of evion can help you
User :   ok, so let me try... if it does not works, any way I can contact u directly?
Doctor :   ok
User :   if it does not works, any way I can contact u directly?
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   you can log in again in your account and then talk to me again
Doctor :   I hope i have solved your query
User :   I just wonder how did I had this problem, i am drinking since 8 years and never had any issue
User :   suddenly i am facing this problem
Doctor :   with age, the liver gets lazy, and its activity is reduced
User :   one last ques: Doctor :   I would advice u, get a Liver function tests
User :   pls name the test
Doctor :   and check if they are normal
Doctor :   they care called LFT (liver function tests)
Doctor :   And an Ultrasound LIVER to check if there is any cirrhosis, etc
User :   aby other thing i should try if avion does not works?
Doctor :   try cadvion,
User :   what is this?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor