Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Premature adrenarche in 8 year old, hormonal disturbance - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3621 Questions
User :   My 8 year old son was just diagnosed with premature adrenarche. When he was 7 we noticed that he was growing pubic hair, his pediatrician referred him to an endocrinologist who made the diagnosis.
My big concern is that they say his bone age is advanced. All of his blood work came back normal. If his bone age is advanced shouldn't they be doing more tests to ensure there isn't something else going on?
I know Premature adrenarche is basically a burst of hormones that make pubic hair grow. It is usually present in children who were born premature (my son was born at 41 weeks gestation 8lbs 6oz). From what I hear this generally this requires no treatment and doesn't show any other signs of precocious puberty.
I'm concerned that there is something more to this since he has an advanced bone age. I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I seek a second opinion or is it normal to have advanced bone age with Premature adrenarche?
Doctor :   Hi.
User :   Hello
Doctor :  
give a minute to read through.
User :   sure thing
Doctor :  
May i know what all the tests done on him and the results of these tests?
User :   Sure, they did testosterone with a result of Doctor :  
User :   on sec, I'm looking for the paperwork
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   FSH was
User :   They also did an x ray of the left hand they won't return my calls to find out how advanced his bone age is. But the report says "advanced for chronological age"
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
I shall guide you.
Doctor :  
Generally there is no effect on the bones and the skeletal system if the cause is just adenarchism.
User :   That is what I thought..
Doctor :  
But how ever other endocrine abnormalities can also cause bone involvement.
Doctor :   Both the problems may be due to a single harmone disturbances or could be individually different.
Doctor :  
If the bone affection is very significant then probably he needs further evaluation.
Doctor :  
Have you followed?
User :   I have called twice this week without a return call from the endocrinologist's office. I'm quite upset with them as they say "come back in 4 months". I feel that this should be more urgent given that his bone age is advanced but his blood levels seem okay..
Doctor :   May i know if he has any other symptoms apart from the pubic hair growth?
User :   At this point the only other thing noticed is body odor
Doctor :  
Symptoms are increase height for his age, generalised body pains?
User :   He is tall for his age. He does have occasional back pain.
Doctor :   Do you have the xrays with you or the reports?
User :   I do not have the x rays and the report only states that it is advanced for his age.
User :   And the doctor's office won't return my calls.
Doctor :   Do you wish for a second opinion from one of our expert pediatrician? I am a general physician..

User :   I think at this point I'm going to take him to another doctor since you stated he needs further evaluation with the advanced bone growth. I'd rather not pay for more chatting.
Doctor :  
That would be a better option.
Doctor :  
As my opinion are restricted without knowing how advanced the bone age is..
User :   right...
Doctor :  
Do you have any other query that i can assist you with?
Doctor :  
Are you there?
User :   I think so, thank you!
User :   I don't think so, sorry.
Doctor :   Please fill the feed back form too before we close the session.
Doctor :  
Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
User :   Thanks
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor