Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Possibility of HIV infection through skin contact - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: HIV and AIDS
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
User :   Can you get HIV from someone who is infected, kissing you on the cheek, while
you have red pimples/blemishes/broken skin from acne on your face? Please be
specific, I am in between insurance providers so I couldn't even get tested if I
wanted to. I am very nervous that I am at risk, I'm sorry if this is silly I
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Dr xxx here
User :   Hello Doctor, did you receive my question? Not sure if it sent or not
Doctor :   yes,
Doctor :   i have your question and the answer is no
User :   good
Doctor :   No, there is negligible risk which can be considered nill
Doctor :   hence need not worry
User :   so even if the skin is broken it's unlikely?
Doctor :   yes,
User :   great
User :   it actually happened to a girl i am seeing and she didn't think anything of it
Doctor :   the infection needs a optimum infective dose of the virus to infect a host , saliva contains very minimal viral count almost null
User :   she's a nurse too i was just too embarrassed to ask
User :   so, in theory, even if the saliva made contact with someone's blood the virus still wouldn't survive?
Doctor :   its not about the survival of the virus, its about the required viral dose to render a host to go in risk of an infection
Doctor :   since the saliva contains very minimal of viral load hence the risk is low
User :   I see
User :   so I shouldn't worry?
Doctor :   yes, need no worry
User :   great, it's been bothering me for almost a month
User :   how much time do I have left?
Doctor :   do not go behind myths in the internet, they mislead
User :   yeah I figured I would get a professional opinion
User :   i am a bit of a worrier
User :   so i've been dwelling on it and going crazy
Doctor :   you can consult a HIV specialist
Doctor :   and reconfirm my opinion
User :   perhaps
User :   what are your qualifications?
User :   if you don't mind me asking
Doctor :   I am a general practitioner , completed a medical degree ,MBBS
Doctor :   you can see my profile if you wish , i can mail you that
User :   sure that'd be great
Doctor :   is there anything i can help you with ?
User :   as long as my friend is not at risk (and therefore I am not either) then I think I am good
Doctor :   thts right
User :   so you don't think there is a need to go see anyone about it or anything?
User :   i mean i know getting tested is always the answer and all that but again I am insurance-less right now
Doctor :   i understand
Doctor :   and no i do not think you need to dig on this
User :   great
Doctor :   the more you think more you fear
User :   that's the truth
User :   being that is has been a month or so even if she were infected there would be warning signs too anyway right?
Doctor :   yes, a viral fever like presentation
User :   right
User :   okay well I feel so much better
Doctor :   fever , joint pains , rashes etc..
User :   well looks like our time is almost up
User :   thank you
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me , kindly provide your feedback
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor