Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Pitting edema - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 669 Questions
User :   Hi
Doctor :   are you back?
Doctor :   please proceed with your health query
Doctor :   are you there?
User :   I am having trouble with pitting edema in both legs from the knees down to the ankle of usually +1. It is mostly around the tibia not the ankles. My legs feel very tight and hurt when swollen. My heart, liver, and kidneys cheked out well. Also checked negative for venous insufficiency. Yes I am here I thought I could type the query before time started.
Doctor :   let me read what you have typed.
Doctor :   May i know your age?
User :   I am also having left sided abdominal pain. The CT report found a cyst anterior to the superior pole of the left kidney. The report says this is more than likely a renal cyst. Could this cancerous or is it definitely benign. Could this be the source of the pitting edema and pain? I am 41
Doctor :   Since when are you having abdominal pain?
Doctor :   Since how long is pitting edema present?
User :   The abdominal symptoms have gotten much worse over the last couple months.
Doctor :   Renal Cyst are usually benign and are harmless.
Doctor :   Is there any problem in urination?
Doctor :   Or bowel movement?
User :   If report just says this is more than likely a renal cyst. Does that mean simple or complex, or not enough information. Urination and bowel movements are fine.
User :   Could the cyst be the source of pitting edema?
Doctor :   Pitting edema is symptom of a number of medical conditions Since your liver, kidneys and heart checked out well, it does not seem to be a big problem.
Doctor :   A cyst can cause edema
Doctor :   Did you get your renal function tests done?
User :   Blood work and 24 hr urine test also were good. No problems noted. To me 41 seems too young for pitting edema. Lasix works but I am afraid of damaging kidneys. I am miserable and was hoping to discover the source of the problem to gain relief. Would removing the cyst help.
Doctor :   Were your thyroid tests done?
Doctor :   Sometimes hyperthyroidism also lead to edema
Doctor :   Since all the tests wer normal and also your other organs are quite normal it does not seem something to be worried of
User :   I am not sure. Will check. Can hormones cause pitting edema. Were would you expect pain for renal cyst
Doctor :   Also some parasitic and bacterial ionfections cause this.
Doctor :   No its not certain that cyst will cause pain.
User :   How do you check for parasitic and bacterial infections
Doctor :   Yes hormonal imbalance in thyroid gland causes edema?
Doctor :   It is no harm taking Lasix for sometime
Doctor :   And getting treated the cause.
Doctor :   Also reduce your salt intake
User :   Would remove cyst be helpful?
User :   I already do low salt diet around 1500mg. Elevation helps some.
Doctor :   It depends on the size, nature, shape of cyst. Also after doing the hormonal evaluation and results of Kidney function tests' it can be decided further.
Doctor :   Yes elevation should be done
Doctor :   Do not stand o for long hours
Doctor :   *for
User :   Are kidney function test done through bloodwork.
Doctor :   Yes
Doctor :   Yes
User :   Could the cyst be causing compression? How would this be determined.
Doctor :   Sometimes deficiency of Vitamin B can also lead to edema, get your Vitamin b levels also checked
Doctor :   It can be confirmed by USG scan
User :   What is USG scan
Doctor :   Ultrasound Scanning
Doctor :   It seems you have moved out of the chat window. Please log in back if you have medical queries
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor