Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Pilonidal cyst and its treatment - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi-about four days ago I noteced a small, hard pea-size round lump just inside my anus opening. It doesn't hurt unless I press it, when it feels hard.I hardly notice it otherwise. Going to the loo is fine. It's the same colour as the skin in the area. Can you make any suggestions. I am a gay man
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Do you notice itching over the lump?
Doctor :   Do you notice any discharge from the lump?
User :   very slight itching - just very mild discomfort really - certainly not an itch i keep wanting to scatch
User :   no discharge at all
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Have you noticed similar lump swelling in the past?
Doctor :   Are you active sexually and did you recently have sexual contact?
User :   I think I had a smaller one several years ago but not really what you'd call a pattern. Yes I am sexually active (always safe) - tend to receive - but no sex for several weeks now
Doctor :   May I know your age and do you have any other medical illness?
User :   Sure-I'm 49 - only take 2mg candersatan for blood pressure and pravastatin -I'm firn but my dad dies early of a heart attack so just on that as doctor thought sensible for risk factor in family
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me brief you.
User :   thanks
Doctor :   There are 2 important causes for swelling around the anal regions (apart from the sexual infections)
User :   ok
Doctor :   1. Hemorrhoids and 2. Pilonidal cyst.
Doctor :   From the description of your symptoms, I probably feel its the pilonidal cyst.
User :   ok
Doctor :   These are benign cyst, however, the treatment is in the form of incision and drainage of the cyst alone.
Doctor :   I shall suggest you few measures that can help you.
User :   thanks
Doctor :   1. Avoid infections by keeping the area clean and dry.
User :   ok
Doctor :   2. If your anal region is hairy, remove those excess hairs.
User :   Ok-I am hairy but it is in a hair free area-just inside the anus opening
Doctor :   3. You can use antiinflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food to reduce the inflammation.
User :   right-anything else?
Doctor :   4. Since trauma and hard stools can increase the inflammation, use measures to soften the stool such as
Doctor :   drinking plenty of water, increasing the fibre content of the stool and so on.
User :   ok-do I need to go to my GP to have it incised?
Doctor :   5. Since the proper treatment is incision and drainage, you will have to consult your doctor (GP or a general surgeon) for the definite treatment.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   yes that's fine-i don't think it's sexual but is there any other possible diagnosis from what I've said?
Doctor :   Apart from these other causes for acute onset swellings or lump in the anal region are the sexual infections, rectal abscess.
Doctor :   And the hemorrhoids.
User :   OK-thanks very much -I'll go to my GP then-much appreciated and good afternoon
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor