Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Perforated ear drum - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2580 Questions
User :   I am having Perforated Eardrum since 4 yrs will it be healing automatically or should i take operation. by opn. will it be repaired properly, i heard that its fiction, we would be dumb after opn. ?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   let me read your query
User :   Good evening sir
User :   its 14 yrs
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   to go ahead, please let me know your age
User :   im 32 ,
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   first off all, a you must be having a condition called CSOM - chronic suppurative otitis media
User :   every day i m suffering by pus in ear
Doctor :   i understand
User :   what does it mean CSOM, i m suffering when i was 8
Doctor :   the only treatment here is to remove the infected foci, and clean it & then correct the defect in the ruptured eardrum
Doctor :   since its been so long about 30 years , it is considered a chronic problem
User :   i would like to say that pus in my left ear, itching too, but i m not having feel that problem in hearing, even i m better to hear by left ear instead of right.
Doctor :   you will be having a bit of conductive deafness, coz due to the infection in the ear, there may be a damage in the inner ear bones which are important in conducting sounds in the ear
Doctor :   but once the condition is corrcted, by surgery, you may have approximately normal hearing , depending on the amount of ear damage, persisting up to the time before the surgery.
User :   what should i do, and when? will it be risky or safe?
Doctor :   it is a very common procedure, and you can go ahead with it , without any apprehension
Doctor :   if it is left as such, the infection in the ear can cause problems in the brain
Doctor :   like abscess , etc
Doctor :   So the best thing to do is to proceed with the procedure
Doctor :   HAVE you followed by advice ?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor