Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Pea-sized lump on the right underarm, FNAC test - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
User :   i have a painless pea size lump in my right underarm for about 6 weeks. I am a 36 year old women. I had a mammogram done with a sonogram last year and nothing found. I have fibrosis in my breast. no cancer in my family. I also had a physical done with blood work less than a year ago and nothing found. hiv test done less than 2 years ago negative. I have no night sweats or fever which described when you have lymphoma.What do you recommend ? I was sick with a bad cold and laringitis around march of this year. Also, recently about a month ago I have something like an ingrown large pimple in a light brown color that is painless in the back of my knee. Do you think this is related to my underarm lump ? what tests are recommended for this underarm lump ?
Doctor :   Hi,
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
Doctor :   Please give me couple of minutes to read your post
User :   ok
Doctor :   Ok, the best test to know the exact cause of the lump would be by getting an FNAC of the lump
Doctor :   there is no relation to the in growth behind the knee joint
Doctor :   there is no disease which presents like that
User :   ok thanks. What can be causing for me to get this underarm lump ? also if you do physicals with blood work and nothing has ever shown up regarding my i at low risk for cancer ? and wouldnt something come up in my blood work that I have done recently ?
Doctor :   No, blood work up rarely gives the cause of such lesions until its a cancer
Doctor :   but in cancer you would have many other alarming symptoms like sudden weight loss , loss of appetite and many other
Doctor :   it may just a normal reaction to the fibrosis is the breast or minor sub clinical infection in the breast
Doctor :   Or may be dude to Tuberculosis which is one of the commonest cause
Doctor :   Due *
User :   oh i had a tb test done 2 months ago and i was negative. Isn't a fnac not too accurate? I heard a biopsy is better. is this correct ?
Doctor :   For a lump of pea size the better would be FNAC
Doctor :   Either will give the same result
User :   oh ok.. how is this done ? is it painful ? who would do it ? a surgeon ?
Doctor :   Yes, a surgeon or even the lab technician does it , its a minimal painful test than a biopsy jus like an injection
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor