Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Paternity testing and DNA analysis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   My ex-wife and I are trying to reconcile, but we have a serious issue...She is pregnant, and has informed me that it may be someone elses. I need to know how to find out as early as possible who is the father? Also, is it likely that symptoms can be different if the father is different? ie: we've had two kids already, both pregnancies were relatively smooth, this one (only 5 or 6 weeks along) is causing her tons and tons of sickness and fatigue, not typical of her previous pregnancies. Could this be due to a different man's sperm? Do women react differently to different men's sperm, or am I reading too much into her being ill this time?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read the query.
User :   k thanks
User :   crappy situation, let me tell ya
Doctor :   The symptoms of pregnancy, the weigh gain are not related to paternity in any ways.
User :   ok that is good to know...
Doctor :   And once cannot predict the father of the child depending on the symptoms.
Doctor :   Paternity can be determined by DNA analysis alone.
Doctor :   DNA analysis can be done by amniocentesis.
Doctor :   This can be safely performed during 14 to 16 weeks of pregnancy.
User :   is there an inexpensive way to determine the paternity? It is my understanding that she was with him 2x and with me very soon after...obviously the sperm who gets there first is the likely father, but she stated as well that he is older (35), I am 28... she also stated that he experiences pre-ejaculate, which is i understand has less sperm content, and that his full ejaculate is very small in quantity, where as I experience no pre-ejaculate, and my full ejaculate is very large...not sure if based off of that you could draw a more specific conclusion or not.. Or at least advise me on 'likelyhoods' knowing that it truly cannot be predicted
Doctor :   Since just a single sperm is adequate to cause pregnancy, it does not depend on the sperm count as long as it is sufficient and all the sperms are motile and viable.
User :   OK understood. She is not here now to answer more specific questions about her menstral cycle etc, so I will ask for her to the best of my knowledge.
Doctor :   And though the likely father can be determined by using the age of the fetus and the mothers menstrual and sexual history, it does not give enough proof to prove it legally.
Doctor :   Apart from this the blood test of the fetus can be matched with that of the father,
Doctor :   This again is not sufficient to prove paternity.
User :   timing wise, immediatlely after her mensral cycle is she most fertile? also, if the encounters were only days or even one day apart, would the size of the fetus be noticeable?
Doctor :   It is only possible by performing the DNA tests.
User :   a blood test osf the fetus is not sufficient to prove paternity?
Doctor :   Blood DNA test are also sufficient.
Doctor :   But since you asked for the test that can be performed at the earliest, I had suggested the amniocentesis.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   So amniocentesis is sufficient?
Doctor :   DNA sample from the amniocentesis also can do.
Question is related to
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor