Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Painful knee cap post an injury - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 669 Questions
User :   Very painful knee cap, it hurts to touch the lower left part of my knee cap and unable to straighten with out severe pain and very painful to bend all the way, also hurts to keep foot stationary, and move left to right, can run on it with pain, but very painful after physical activity...any suggestions?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   aaa
Doctor :   May I know age and gender?
User :   it is my right knee, and i injured it in a soccer game knee cap to knee cap
User :   26, Male, XXX, and XXX
Doctor :   Since when are you having these symptoms?
Doctor :   And are these symptoms following an injury?
User :   for 3 weeks now, with no let up of pain, but i do continue to play in my smart but just want to make sure its not a fracture or other injury
User :   yes following an injury
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you notice swelling of the knee?
User :   not much swelling now, a little the night of the injury and it was very painful to walk about 2 days after...if i bump it on something its very severe
Doctor :   Have you seen a doctor?
User :   not yet thinking i would ask some questions before i wasted time and money
Doctor :   Ok\
Doctor :   Let me brief you.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Since you have sustained an injury, you may have sustained a soft tissue injury.
Doctor :   Soft tissue injuries can also include ligament or meniscal injury.
User :   so it doesnt seem like a fracture or anything
User :   its the very center of the patella
User :   and i figured it wasnt a mcl, pcl, or lcl
Doctor :   Since you are able to walk, it does not seem to be a fracture, however the treatment of the ligament/meniscal/soft tissue injury are similar to that of fracture,
Doctor :   that is good bed rest, icing and analgesics.
Doctor :   A physical examination is essential to determine the type and severity of the injury.
Doctor :   Hence I suggest you to consult an orthopedician for evaluation.
Doctor :   In the mean time use icing, analgesics for healing of the injury.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   yes, i follow you but would a soft tissue injury be the result of a knee to knee collision and why is it so painful to straighten my leg, is the tissue just very sore?
Doctor :   Yes, if the inflammation is severe, then
Doctor :   if the inflammation is severe,
User :   i have iced most nights after i have played and the ice does not seem to help, there is not really any swelling , and the problem i am most concerned with it the severe pain when i bump it on anything...
Doctor :   you will be having trouble moving the knee.
Doctor :   Continue icing and
Doctor :   use analgesics such as ibuprofen 400mg twice a day
Doctor :   after meals.
User :   is there a worst-best case scenario?
Doctor :   And you also would need good rest.
Doctor :   Soft tissue injury should improve in a few weeks time with these measures.
User :   ok thanks
Doctor :   Its unlikely to be a fracture, but only an examination can rule this out.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   sounds chance of MCL or ligament?
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor