Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Pain while urinating,diagnosed with kidney stones - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I have a six year old daughter. About three weeks ago the following happened:-
On Saturday she complained about pain while urinating. She exercised on Sunday and when she went to pee after there was still pain but light pink blood this time (I only saw the blood twice when she peed on Sunday and once when she peed on Monday. But the pain was there all the time when she urinated). On Monday, the doctor gave her antibiotics (believing it to be a uti), ordered a urine test and an ultrasound. The urine test came back normal (no infection, blood etc.). The ultrasound report said that she had two kidney stones in the right kidney and some mild dialation of the calyces in that kidney. My daughter stopped getting pain when urinating by the Friday.
I went to the urologist this week who said that the white spots in the ultra sound could NOT be stones since there were no cast shadows. He even said that her sympotoms could be nothing, or could be because she is growing. He also said that may be it is reflux but he doubts and that there is no need for due concern.
I am now more confused and concerned than ever since she has now started back to get pain while urinating - no signs of blood.
Please I need some help... Thanks....
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Let me read the query.
User :   hi
Doctor :   Is she having fever?
User :   no
Doctor :   How big were those white spots?
User :   3mm and 4mm
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   Since I do not have access to the ultrasound scan, I cannot comment on the nature of the stones.
Doctor :   However renal stones are one of the common condition of the urinary tract.
User :   uhuh...
Doctor :   Presenting with crampy abdominal pain and pain while urination.
Doctor :   since she continues to have lower abdominal pain,\
Doctor :   it still could be a renal colic, which can be confirmed only by examination and scans.
User :   renal colic?
Doctor :   A renal colic is a crampy abdominal pain secondary to cramps of the ureter.
Doctor :   cramps occur as the stones tend to pass through the ureter.
User :   so do you believe it to be kidney stones or could it be something else?
User :   and is this something to be concerned about?
Doctor :   There are high probability that it may be a renal stone.
Doctor :   But without a physical examination and evaluation
Doctor :   i would not be able to confirm this.
Doctor :   Hence if the pain is severe, you need to report back to your doctor
User :   one of the doctors physically examined her by pressing her stomach but she felt no pain.
User :   what about the lack of cast shadow on the ultrasound. could it still be a stone if there is no shadow?
Doctor :   Stones appear as a hypoechogenic foci with a shadow.
User :   so if NO shadow then NO stone???
User :   what else do you think it could be? She is a bit overweight and my husband think that it is because of her size. what do you think?
Doctor :   I cannot think of any other possibility apart from the kidney stone
Doctor :   which can mimick the shape and size of renal stone.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor