Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Pain in the right abdomen - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Abdominal Pain
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
User :   i have been having pain on my right abdominal side for 2 days

Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :  
how can i help you?
User :   i have been having pain on my right side for about 2 days. my 3 lower ribs are painful to the touch. there is an area below my ribs that is tender and the pain seems to be also in my back
Doctor :   this pain is on right side or left side?
User :   right side
Doctor :  
may i know your age and gender?
User :   32 yo female
Doctor :  
is there any redness of the skin at the site of pain?
User :   no
Doctor :  
do you have fever?
User :   no
Doctor :  
does the pain increase on taking deep breath?
User :   i should mention as i dont know if this is related but i did have blood with a bowel movement this morning
User :   no the pain does not increase with deep breath
Doctor :  
Doctor :   does the stools were hard?
User :   no
Doctor :   was there any pain while passing stools?
User :   no
Doctor :   ok

Doctor :  
coming to the pain in the there tenderness?
User :   yes they are very painful when i touch them
Doctor :  
User :   only the bottom 3
Doctor :   the pain in the ribs seems to be of superficial
User :   and directly under the last rib is tender
User :   what do you mean by superficial
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :  
meaning the pain is originating from the skin and subcutaneous tissue
Doctor :   have you tried any pain relief medications?
User :   well when i touch the ribs it actually feels like the bone itself is what is hurting as if i bumped it or something but underneath feels like maybe tissue
Doctor :  
User :   no i did not want to take anything as i dont know what this is the ribs in my back are also hurting like pressure
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   the symptoms you are describing seems to be like a costochondritis or a zoster
User :   is this something that i need to see my dr for?
Doctor :   yes it is better to have a physical examination done by a doctor
User :   well is it something that i can wait until after the weekend to see if it improves
Doctor :   yes the present situation is not an emergency
Doctor :  
also you can take the otc pain relief medications
Doctor :   avoid aspirin
User :   ok well thank you for your time. youve been very helpful
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with
Doctor :  
please fill the feed back form
User :   no i was worried for liver or gallbladder problems so you have eased my worries thank you very much
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   thanks for consulting health care magic bye for now
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor