Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Pain in the ear, ear infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2584 Questions
User :   Hi good evening Dr.
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Good evening.
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   nice to meet you Dr.
User :   since last 1wk or ten days i can sense pain in left ear, when i do more action with jaws.
User :   why it so Dr. any prob?
User :   i can feel some moments/action in left ear, when i move my jaws. i feel a lite pain then.
Doctor :   Do you have any other symptoms associated with these symptoms - such as sorethroat, nasal congestion, headache, fever, ear discharge, hearing difficulty associated with the pain?
User :   rest of the thing i dont have, but hearing means i feel its only bcoz of my concentration or else mit be. but not sure.
User :   it is since from long time, can say from my childhood.
User :   its not starting bcoz of this pain.
User :   even i feel, i want to check up and improve my hearing capability too.
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Movement of the jaw can produce pressure changes in the ear behind the tympanic membrane(ear drum)
Doctor :   So what you perceive in the ear while movement of the jaw is nothing but the pressure changes.
Doctor :   It is a normal event that happens with every individual.
Doctor :   However this phenomena is not associated with pain.
User :   yes, i feel more pressure or friction or action happening in my left ear. at that time i feel lite pain.
User :   that too not always
Doctor :   Pain in the ear however is not normal.
Doctor :   Pain in the ear can happen due to ear infections/upper respiratory inflammation
Doctor :   or due to referred pain.
User :   lite pain is only when jaws moved, not simply paining.
User :   ok
Doctor :   In the absence of any associated symptoms. you could probably be suffering from mild form of infection
Doctor :   which needs to be evaluated.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Evaluation includes ear, nose and throat examination and other tests.
Doctor :   Hence it is necessary that you see an ENT specialist who will guide through the evaluation.
User :   ok, how much it may cost Dr.
User :   for evaluation.
Doctor :   In the mean time, you can use simple pain relievers such as Tab Dolo 650mg when ever there is severe pain.
User :   even can we improve the heariing capability Dr.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Good nutrition and adequate hydration is necessary.
Doctor :   Occasionally, the whole problem could be because of wax in the ear.
Doctor :   Such instances need wax removal measures.
Doctor :   Wax removing measures which you can try at home is
Doctor :   applying dewax ear drops to the ear.
Doctor :   This drops should be available at any local chemist/pharmacy.
Doctor :   2-3 drops should be applied 3 times a day.
User :   ok, to clear wax, can we use hydorgen peroxide Dr.
User :   ok, any dewax drops name dr.
Doctor :   De-wax is the name of the ear drops.
Doctor :   you can ask for it.
User :   ok
User :   how about H2O2(hydrogen peroxide) dr.
Doctor :   Hydrogen peroxide is not to be used in the ear.
User :   ok, Dr.
Doctor :   It is an irritant which can induce inflammatory changes on the ear drug
Doctor :   *ear drum
Doctor :   resulting in infections and complications.
User :   ok sure dr.
Doctor :   Consult the ENT surgeon if symptoms persists for the evaluation and testing.
User :   ok sure Dr.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   thanks a lot Dr.
Doctor :   My pleasure.
User :   thanks for giving valuable suggestion, your time.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
User :   Thank you. :)
Doctor :   Bye for now.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor