Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Pain below the ribs - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
User :   Hi Doc
Doctor :   please proceed with your query
User :   I am having pain at the bottom of my right ribs
Doctor :   ok
User :   from today morning
User :   it pains when i cough or burp
Doctor :   ok
User :   when i try and reach there with my hands it pains aswell
User :   what could be the reason?
Doctor :   ok , may i know your age?
User :   26
Doctor :   ok , may i know did you have cough frequently in the recent time or any infection?
User :   no
User :   i dont have cough now
Doctor :   ok , may i know if you smoke or consume alcohol?
User :   yes
User :   both
Doctor :   ok , could you please provide details on the same
User :   went a little over this friday evening!
Doctor :   ok
User :   had too much of alcohol
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   may i know apart from the pain, what other symptoms you have? any belching, acidity , chest discomfort?
User :   when i try to blow up my stomach it pains
User :   no acidity or chest discomfort so far
Doctor :   ok
User :   but when i lay on the bed/chair and get up it pains
Doctor :   may i know your height and weight/
User :   175cms and 72 kgs
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   any fever, changes in passing motions, abdominal pain etc?
User :   nothing of that sort, feeling a little feverish though!
Doctor :   ok , any history of fall or injury or did you get hurt recently over the chest?
User :   no i did not
Doctor :   ok
User :   even when i press with my thumb at the bottom center of my right rib it pains :(
Doctor :   on asking you the above, i feel this is related to the alcohol consumption
Doctor :   or it could be a rib inflammation.
Doctor :   since you do not give any history of fall or injury, i may not consider other options
Doctor :   generally due to alcohol consumption , there will be gastritis , causing a chest discomfort
Doctor :   or in cases of rib inflammations/costochondritis, one may feel some pain
Doctor :   the treatment is symptomatic and rest only
Doctor :   i suggest you follow this
Doctor :   1. take good rest and minimize your activities for few days
User :   i can feel something hard between the center part of the ribs
User :   when i touch it i feel pain
Doctor :   2. You can take Tab Dolo 500 mg for pain
User :   alright ok
Doctor :   you must see the doctor for an examination
Doctor :   the tenderness/ pain will persists for few days in inflammations
Doctor :   An x ray may be needed
Doctor :   and if you have cough , try to get it under control
User :   i am currently at new york and do i get dolo 500 here?
Doctor :   frequent coughing will increase the pain.
Doctor :   you may go for tylenol
Doctor :   TAB.TYLENOL
Doctor :   it is the same , it is an OTC
User :   one small question
User :   can i take claritin?
Doctor :   Claritin is for any cold and allergic condition with cough , it wont relieve the pain
User :   ahh ok
User :   so i just have to rest for a few days and if the pain persists have to consult a doc right?
Doctor :   yes , exactly.
Doctor :   avoid alcohol in the meantime , avoid spicy food as well.
User :   i was worried if it has anything to do with liver infections
User :   sure sure
Doctor :   it may be an underlying liver or gall bladder problem, but they have some symptoms which i asked you for.
Doctor :   but since you consume alcohol , that may be a possibility, hence i advised you not to consume it for now.
User :   sure will stay away from it for a while
Doctor :   fatty liver , gall bladder stones, may also cause pain near right rib
Doctor :   but I did not find many symptoms in you.
Doctor :   so let us first consider this , and take a pain killer, and see a doctor for further examination.
User :   ahh ok.. sure
User :   thanks for your time doc!
Doctor :   hence i suggest you follow it up with an examination from a physician , once the pain subsides.
Doctor :   I hope you followed my suggestions?
User :   sure doc
User :   thanks
Doctor :   any other questions for me to help you with ?
User :   that should be it
User :   thanks again for your time
Doctor :   ok , pleasure here
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me .
Doctor :   Bye for now .
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor