Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Pain below rib cage - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   Hi, I have pains below my rib cage and on my side and back, its also quite itchy. What might be the cause? Getting nowhere with my dr.
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   getting Itchy!
Doctor :   is there any skin rash
User :   no rash, its just itchy but also painful underneath
User :   like inside
Doctor :   Have you had rask any time before?
Doctor :   is it right or left side?
User :   no the itchyness is a new thing - i ahve had some panis below my rib cage on the right hand side ofr a while but over the past day or so its moved to the right and my back too
User :   I have been to the dr about 5 times and she said it was irritable bowels but I just know its not that
User :   as I have no problems
Doctor :   How old are You?
User :   27
Doctor :   Do you have any decrease appetite, belchings, bloating sensation of belly?
User :   sometimes i get a fulness feeling
User :   o loss of apetite though
User :   no loss of appetite
Doctor :   Do you drink alcohol?
User :   yes
Doctor :   what alchohol u drink?
Doctor :   beer/wine/whisky?
User :   wine mostly
Doctor :   Do you think u drink heavy or just mild?
User :   well i go out quite a lot - i dont drink every day but maybe 3-4 times a week and sometimes quite a bit
User :   im not addicted or anything just go out a lot and I do worry its the cause
User :   i feel really cross wiht myself
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have shortness of breath, cough?
User :   Im actually really worried
User :   no
Doctor :   Based on your symptoms profile, I think the problem could be in liver or Gall bladder
Doctor :   Mostly Liver
Doctor :   To diagnose the problem I recommen fw tests
Doctor :   1. Liver functions tests 2. Hepatitis profile 3. Ultrasound of the upper abdomen
Doctor :   Do u followme?
User :   I have had some blood tests done adn they came back normal although that was a while ago now
User :   yes i understand what you are saying but how do I get these done
Doctor :   Which country u from?
User :   I feel lik my doctor just wants to get rid of me
Doctor :   If he think like that u change MD
Doctor :   You demand him that u want to rule out alochol related , hepatitis related liver disease or gall bladder problem
Doctor :   request him to order these tests
User :   ok and how do I get better
Doctor :   If the tests are normal, you can feel relaex that you have atleast no liver problems
Doctor :   See I dont know what is causing the pain?
Doctor :   tests will look at ur liver and gall bldder
User :   i fel really
User :   sick now just thinking about it
Doctor :   I feel it
Doctor :   but why compromise when there is problem
Doctor :   get the tests done
User :   will it cost loads for me to go privately
User :   i was thinking about that
Doctor :   I recommend you quit alcohol
User :   yes
User :   I agree
User :   ive been such an idiot
User :   its so much easier to talk with a dr on here than in person
Doctor :   Take Prolosec /pepsid/Zantac any acid reducer
Doctor :   I understand but this is only advise
User :   can i get them over the counter at the chemist
Doctor :   u got to to execute the advise
Doctor :   yes
User :   ok any other advice?
User :   i drink loads of wtare every day
Doctor :   Do it is ok to use some pain medicines
User :   If I dont drink for a few days the pain does go away
Doctor :   You need to research on your body
Doctor :   try that and watch
User :   watch what? I dont understand
Doctor :   watch yout clinical symptoms
Doctor :   Quit alcohol and see the pain responce
User :   ok
Doctor :   Take one multivitamin tablet daily
Doctor :   exercise daily
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor