Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Pain and fever due to folliculitis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1775 Questions
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Good afternoon.
User :   good afternoon
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   Hey Doc
User :   i hv got a boil on my thigh
Doctor :   Ok
User :   its paining n i need an antibiotic
Doctor :   Since when have you noticed it?
Doctor :   Did you sustain an injury/
User :   2-3 days
User :   nope
User :   looks like an infection
Doctor :   How big is the boil?
Doctor :   Do you find any discharge / pus pointing from it?
User :   its pretty small....
Doctor :   Are you running fever?
User :   yeah pus since yday
Doctor :   May I know your age?
User :   32
Doctor :   Do you have history of diabetes?
User :   nope
User :   i had executive check up done in dec
User :   no diab
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
User :   my dad has diab
User :   sure
Doctor :   An boil with pus discharge is a sign of infection.
Doctor :   However the cause for its presence needs to be evaluated.
Doctor :   It could be a less concerning problem such as folliculitis or a more serious infection too.
User :   ok
Doctor :   You can use local antiseptic/antibiotic creams such as neosporin creams thrice a day over it.
User :   i hv been using soframycin
Doctor :   Continue using them.
Doctor :   if the symptoms are not down with the local creams
User :   do u recommend any antibiotic
Doctor :   then you need evaluation - pus swab test/culture test.
Doctor :   Appropriate antibiotics will be suggested based on the test.
Doctor :   hence it is ideal that you consult dermatologist for these evaluation.
User :   thanks
User :   thank you
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical query that I can assist you with?
User :   not at all
User :   thanks
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   byee
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor