Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

PCR test for detection of HIV after unsafe sex - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions

User :   Can I have PCR HIV test after 10 days I had an unsafe sex? is that the best test for now?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :  
Are you there?
Doctor :   It seems you have moved out of the chat window. Please log in back if you have medical queries.

User :   hi
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Can I have PCR HIV test after 10 days I had an unsafe sex?
Doctor :   PCR is a senstive test

Doctor :  
and does show postive results
Doctor :  
if the virus is present
Doctor :  
So you can go ahead
Doctor :  
Do you know about ELISA method as well?
User :   ok, thanks, but is that always true, the result?
User :   after 10days or I have to wait up to 28 days?
Doctor :   No for PCR that should not be the case

Doctor :  
But it is always better if you wait for 3 weeks
Doctor :  
User :   ELISA is fine,
Doctor :  
User :   but recently, I dont trust what I have done
Doctor :   Ok

User :   by the way, where are you?
Doctor :  
User :   If I am infected, can I live healthy for years?
Doctor :   The infection should be controlled

Doctor :  
and that is the key
Doctor :   but dont get into such hypothetical situations right now

Question is related to
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor