Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Numbness in face and arms,tightness in chest with high BP - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
User :   I'm a 60 yr. old woman, quite overweight. I'm on high blood pressure medication. Currently, I have been having pressure or tightness in the middle of my chest, possibly up in neck. I have a lot of problems with tightness in my back and neck, so that may be responsible. But the last couple of days, I have been feeling quite tired, and today, my face and lower arms and hands have felt puffy and slightly numb. I was laughing at something my husband said and felt slightly dizzy when I laughed. There is a different of about 50 between my systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings most days. Pulse is usually in upper 90's. I have no insurance for a visit to the ER. Is this something that I need to be really concerned about?                                                            
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   give me some time to read
Doctor :   what is ur blood pressure now?
Doctor :   are u a diabetic also?
User :   At 12:45 pm today it was 121/71 with a pulse of 93. Just tried again a minute ago, and said I made an error, so I'll have to wait a few minutes to try again. No, I'm not diabetic, but my blood sugar is a bit high.
Doctor :   what is ur blood sugar?
User :   Last time I had labs in 9/2008, it was 106
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   if u have puffiness around ur face then ,u need to be concerned about it
Doctor :   it is due to accumulation of fluid
Doctor :   what about ur urine output?
User :   I have urinated about 3 times today. Pretty usual for me. Don't drink a lot of water, which
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   from how many days u are observing puffiness of face
Doctor :   ?
User :   I never feel real thirsty but I know I should be drinking a lot more water. My face doesn't
Doctor :   u dont have puffiness of face
Doctor :   ?
Doctor :   if u have generalised puffiness then u need to get some tests done
Doctor :   like 1) kidney function test
Doctor :   2) liver function test
User :   look real puffy, any more than usual. I have a full face anyway. I just checked my blood pressure again, but I had to walk into the other room to take it, so it's going to be a lot higher than it should read. It says 163/85 and 110 pulse. I know that's wrong because I would feel my heart racing. By the way, I have been told that I have cysts on my kidneys but have not been to a nephrologist do to no insurance.
Doctor :   ohhk
Doctor :   what kind of cysts?
Doctor :   is it a simple cyst?
Doctor :   if kidney function tests are abnormal
Doctor :   then u have to drai the cyst
Doctor :   drain*
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor