Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Necessity of surgery after being diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis and scoliosis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3621 Questions
User :   My grandfather has been diagnosed lumbar spondylosis and scoliosis, he is 74 aged, doctor suggested surgery ,
MRI impression says grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L4 over L5 due to bilateral faceto-ligamental arthrosis and malalignment along with diffuse disc bulge causing significant bilateral foraminal stenosis and mild impression of thecal SAC.
Diffuse annular disc bulge along with bilateral faceto-ligamental hypertophy at L1-2 and L2-3 levels causing moderte bilateral foraminal stenosis and mild impression on the thecal SAC.
Lumbaar spondylosis and scoliosis
Please suggest surgery is necessary, but he has very unbearable pain
Doctor :   hi
User :   hi
User :   did u get my message
Doctor :   lease give me few moments to read what you have typed
User :   ok
Doctor :   Please
User :   k
Doctor :   I am a General Physician. I think that for your grandfather's case we will need to take the opinion of our panel of specialists.
User :   ok
Doctor :   usual patients with pain more than 8 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest pain and with findings of stenosis
Doctor :   are advised to go ahead with surgery for disc decompression which also eases pressure on nerve roots relieving the pain.
User :   ok
User :   so surgery necessary doctor
User :   is it possible to chat wiht Neurosurgeon
Doctor :   the decision for surgery is based on clinical examination findings,MRI results and symptoms of patient
User :   ok
Doctor :   no, they are not available for chat, you can take opinion by e-mail or phone cal
User :   ok
Doctor :   since he is having severe pain, MRi also shows multiple disc bulges, bilateral forminal stenosis
Doctor :   he might get relief with surgery
Doctor :   take a second opinion y a spinal surgeon on him
Doctor :   along with repeat examination and MRI interpretation
Doctor :   it will help you to take better decision
User :   ok
User :   we need to consult nero doctor or ortho?
Doctor :   a spinal surgeon (orthopedic surgeon specializing in spinal surgery) would be fine.
User :   ok
User :   thank u doctor
Doctor :   we have a spinal surgeon in our panel of specialists
User :   ok
Doctor :   you can send your query along with reports and MRI images and take his opinion
User :   ok
Doctor :   to proceed with further care of your grandfather
Doctor :   you can see in my recommendation on your right hand side of chat window
User :   ok
Doctor :   you can follow this link if you opt to take his opinion
User :   k
Doctor :   and send the reports and images of MRI
User :   k
Doctor :   to be forwarded to spinal surgeon)
User :   ok
User :   thank u doctor
User :   i will decide and take call thank u
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   no thanks
User :   thank u vr much
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   no thanks
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor