Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Muscular spasms on shoulder and chest, possible peripheral nerve defect - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   HiI have very strong spasms front side between my shoulder and my breast. i'm in agony. please help
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   hi
User :   please help, i dont know what to do to stop the spasms
Doctor :   Since when do you have this problem ?
User :   it started 6 weeks ago......and then it was better....but today the spasms....are sooo bad
User :   i visit a chiropracter 3 times a week
Doctor :   How frequent are the spasms ?
User :   i've been to x-ray and mri...all clear
User :   1 per 20sec
User :   very strong
User :   it makes me jump......and its very painfull
Doctor :   Have you used any medication for the same ?
User :   i got ibuprofen today
User :   but no result]
User :   i used ice...and biofreeze gel...from the chiropracter, but still is not stoping
Doctor :   Ibuprofen is a mild pain killer , i do not this it will be of any help here
Doctor :   Ans do not use ice or any cold gels
Doctor :   And*
User :   what can i do to stop the spasms
User :   ?
Doctor :   I suspect it to be a peripheral nerve defect
Doctor :   which is misfiring frequently
Doctor :   i would suggest you to consult a neurologist to confirm the same and put you on treatment
User :   what kind of treatment is for this ?
Doctor :   meanwhile take multivitamin supplements which will help in treating the nerve defects
User :   and what can i do by the time i see the neurologist?
Doctor :   Most of times the treatment involves medication and physiotherapy
Doctor :   take multivitamin supplements , and Tab NAPROSYN 250mg after food when ever the pain is more , but not more than 3 tabs per day
Doctor :   You may also need oral muscle relaxants which need a written prescription , you can consult your nearest doctor for the same
User :   so that mean that the chiropracter can't help me? because the chiropracter said is mechanical, and it comes from spine muscles.
Doctor :   No , i do not think it may be of much help here
User :   and the area is numb, and it goes down on my right arm too, i can barely feel my arm.
Doctor :   this supports the nerve involvement
User :   what medication can/should i buy untill i will see a neurologist.... because it might take a few feeks here.
User :   weeks*
Doctor :   Multivitamin supplements , Tab Naprosyn 250mg after food whenever the pain is more , but not more than 3 per day and a oral Muscle relaxant after consulting your nearest GP
User :   where is this nerve defect coming from, what have i done?
User :   and this nerve defect should show on MRI scan?
Doctor :   the defect could be due to vitamin deficiency most of times ,
Doctor :   No , MRI cannot detect such defects
User :   what can detect such defects?....what scan should i they can see exactly whats wrong
User :   ?
Doctor :   Such defects can be identified by nerve conduction studies , which a neurologist can analyze and interpreter
User :   i'm aloud to massage the area? because when i do that, the spasms sometime stops
Doctor :   yes, you can do that
Doctor :   and it would be better if you do it with a counter irritant
User :   sometime when i massage it, the spasm it moves in a different spot
User :   is that normal?
User :   what is a counter irritant?
Doctor :   yes, its just the isolated muscles heads relaxing in the same area / same muscle group
Doctor :   Counter irritants like Methyl salicylates or Capsiacin available as massage oils
User :   can i buy that over the counter at farmacy?
Doctor :   yes,
User :   ok, thank you
Doctor :   You are welcome
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
User :   thank you for your help
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Take care
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor