Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Missed period, not sexually active. What could be the reason? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 06-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2572 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
Doctor:Are you there?
Doctor:Proceed with your query.
User:I missed my periods i want to know the reason
Doctor:May I know your age and have your periods been regular in the past?
User:yes i am 22 years old
User:same thing happened with me 3-4 times before
Doctor:Are you active sexually?
Doctor:Are you there?
User:no i am not
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Pregnancy is the most common cause of missed period, but if you are not sexually active we can safely rule out pregnancy.
Doctor:Other causes are related to hormonal disturbances.
User:what should i do now?
Doctor:Such disturbances are related to stress, infection, ovarian cyst, endometrosis/adenomyosis, etc.
Doctor:Most often physiological changes related to stress and infections are corrected spontaneously,
Doctor:but other causes that I mentioned do not - this needs evaluation.
Doctor:So in your case if
Doctor:1. The irregularity recurs very often
User:i have gone through this 4-5 times before also
Doctor:2. If period doesn't start even after 2 weeks of the expected period
User:almost every year
Doctor:you need evaluation.
User:then i have to go n see doc
Doctor:Yes, you will need to consult a gynecologist.
Doctor:He/she will perform a few test as blood hormones (thyroid, sexual hormones, hemoglobin and blood counts) along with scans to identify any known cause.
Doctor:Treatment will be use of birth control pills to regulate periods and correcting the underlying cause.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:ok can u tell which tests i should do?
User:i have donated blood one month before at that time my hb count was 14.3
Doctor:You will need test based on clinical examination. The test will include hemoglobin, blood count, thyroid function test, hormones such as FSH and so on.
Doctor:The doctor can write these test and other related tests after physical examination.
Doctor:I do not recommend you to perform the test without physical examination.
Doctor:Hope it is clear.
Doctor:Your hemoglobin at the time of donation seems good. Perhaps they may have reduced slightly giving rise to this delayed period.
Doctor:Any way consult a doctor and you will have answers.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:ok thanks a lot
User:i will consult doc
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:ya m also facing some problem with my stomach
Doctor:Please explain.
User:whenever i eat something then after half hour i need to go to toilet
User:my stomach starts aching
User:then it stops
User:again if i eat anything same thing
Doctor:Do you mean the pain stops after passing stools?
User:this ishappening from last 5 days
Doctor:Have you had similar symptoms in the past?
User:in the past means?
User:m facing this problem fom last 5 days
Doctor:I mean is this the first time you have such episodes or you had them before too?
User:may when i was young
User:lang back
User:not recently
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Recurring stools and feeling of passing stool after food associated with abdominal pain which disappears after stool are classical symptoms of
Doctor:However, here the symptoms are chronic.
Doctor:I mean we usually see patients have such symptoms for months or years.
Doctor:Hence in your case, the symptoms you have may be beginning of irritable bowel
Doctor:or related to an infection.
User:pain has dcreased though
Doctor:You can get a stool test done to rule out infection.
User:in the start i used to go everytime i eat something
User:now freq is reduced
User:but not completly
Doctor:I can understand what you say.
Doctor:The symptoms of irritable syndrome can vary with time.
Doctor:Life style and stress are blamed for such changes.
User:is this related to my Menstrual s?
Doctor:No, they are not related to delayed menstrual cycle. But the causes of delayed menstrual cycle may be responsible for the bowel changes.
Doctor:Like I mentioned earlier, the bowel irregularities should get rectified with modifications in diet and life style.
Doctor:If symptoms persist, you will need further evaluation including colonoscopy.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:i eat outside non veg once after that this has started
Doctor:You will need to restrict non vegetarian diet. Restrict the amount of spices in your diet. Restrict coffee and tea.
User:after that i have stopped eating outside now pain is reducing
Doctor:These dietary products can precipitate/aggravate irritable bowel.
User:n also freq
Doctor:It's good to know that you are feeling better.
Doctor:I am sure with the above restrictions, you should feel better.
Doctor:Let us know if they persist, we can guide you for further test.
User:thanks a lot for help should i wait for few more days before consulting doctor for my menstrual?
Doctor:When was your expected date?
User:overdue by 10 days
User:27 th last month
Doctor:You may wait for another 3-4 days.
Doctor:If periods do not happen, consult a gynecologist.
User:ok thanks again
Doctor:She can do the test as well as prescribe you
Doctor:hormone pills to induce period.
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:ya my doctor had given me same pills before also
User:no other query
User:thanks a lot
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor