Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Mental confusion due to Alcohol consumption and addiction - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
User :   hi sir
Doctor :   Hi
how may i help you?
User :   my brother 23yr old
Doctor :   please proceed with your medical query.
User :   is getting personality change
User :   if he consumes more alchol
User :   he breaks the household items,
Doctor :   I understand,
User :   and hitting his younger family members
User :   fighting
User :   to the extreme he cuts his body with a razer
Doctor :   Alcohol consumption, can cause mental confusion and increase aggressiveness of a person.
User :   main thing is,
Doctor :   Alcohol decreases the senses and a person cannot control his emotions and actions.
User :   he is getting a character name (a physco person name in a film)
User :   he is tooo wild
User :   when he gets that character
Doctor :   So does he consider himself to be that person when he is intoxicated ?
User :   yes dr.....
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   All these problems can be solved when he quits alcohol.
User :   yes i agree
User :   but he is unable to quit the alchol
Doctor :   these are not the problems of the pateint themselves, but the effect of alcohol itself.
User :   he has got a big circle of friends who booze every day
Doctor :   I understand, quiting alcohol is not easy if a person does not want to quit.
User :   how to get rid of this personality change i mean AAAAAAA kumara
Doctor :   first of all, he will have to have the attitude and will power to quit alcohol.
User :   dr... is there a medicine to control taking alchol
Doctor :   please understand, this patient is just acting out and has no other personality issues.
Doctor :   Yes, but that will have to be taken with consultation with a psychiatrist.
User :   ok
Doctor :   He will have to get enrolled into a alcohol deaddiction centre,
Doctor :   and get treated with medications which will help him quit alcohol.
User :   ok, can u refer me the alchol deaddiction centre in chennai
Doctor :   please give me a few details.
Doctor :   Is he selfemployed OR is he a student ? is he financially dependent on someone?
User :   is selfemployed
Doctor :   OK
Doctor :   Is he willing to quit alcohol?
User :   no dr....
User :   he is not willing to.. becoz he doesnt drink all time
User :   and he has big group of friends
Doctor :   if he is not willing to quit alcohol, then you may have to include all your family members , and counsell him, when he is sober (normal and not under the influence of alcohol).
User :   once he sleeps and get up
User :   all the persons in my family use to sit and talk with him but he says... "sorry i dont know what has happened, leave it, it will happen again"
Doctor :   if he does not agree, you may have to take the hard decision to commit him to a alcohol de-addiction center. (that is without his consent)
Doctor :   Is he married ?
User :   then he will be good for a month and then one day again repeating the same story
User :   yes dr, he is married
User :   and has 1kid
User :   ok dr... can u refer me the de-addiction centre
Doctor :   I understand your situation, He will have to be given a ultimatum that if he continues to be in a company of his bad friends and consume alcohol, he will have to face his problems himself and all the family will disown him.
Doctor :   Alcoholics do not change their habits unless they are given very hard choice alcohol OR family.
User :   even his wife left him becoz of the character last month
User :   she just joined back with him since he said he will not do again
User :   but again today he is doing.
Doctor :   I understand,
User :   can u refer me the deaddiction centre and phycaterist
Doctor :   His wife must completely disown him and go for divorce if he does not change.
Doctor :   definitely , please give me a minute
User :   even she tried dr.....but he didnt allow her...
User :   she is at her parents house
User :   he tried a lot and convinced her
Doctor :   rehab centre,
User :   ok
User :   ok
Doctor :   PLEASE note alcoholic are capable of making dramas and acting,
User :   mmm i understand
User :   sir
Doctor :   please let her wife know that she will be in good hands only if she divorces him,
Doctor :   but the social structure and society will be against her, and she must have the courage to go ahead.
Doctor :   for the well being of her self and her child, she may have to take hard decision in her life.
User :   mm yes dr.
Doctor :   if she goes ahead of divorce proceedings, and then probably he may find it hard, and he will be forced to change.
User :   can i have physcaterist details dr.
Doctor :   first and formost, he has to be seen by a psychiatrist
Doctor :   i will give you the dtetails in a minute
User :   thanks sir
Doctor :   YOU will also find good psychiatrist at major hospitals like fortis,
Doctor :   you are absolutely welcome.
Doctor :   Have you understood my advice ?
User :   let us check with him. thanks for chatting
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical query?
Doctor :   I hope he comes to his senses, and takes control of his life.
User :   yes sir, understood
Doctor :   good luck,
User :   thanks
User :   bye
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me, here
Doctor :   BYE FOR NOW
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor