Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Menstrual irregularities with hormonal imbalance - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi my name is XXX,
I got a call from my doctor and they told me my lab results came back and that my hormones are abnormal... What could that possibly mean?? They said that they want to refer me to a endocrincal specialist.... Is this something very serious? What could some of the causes be? Please let me know ...I have an appointment tomorrow with the doctor to explain further but I am freaking out what the possibilities might be.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :   May I know your age and gender and what are the hormones that have abnormal values?
User :   im 22 and femail
User :   female*
User :   they didn't give me any details on what is abnormal
User :   all they told me was your test results came back and your hormones are abnormal
User :   and they wanted to refer me to an specialies of endocornical
Doctor :   Since I do not know the hormones that are abnormal, I cannot comment, what the condition may probably be.
Doctor :   Or the nature of your condition.
Doctor :   To help you better, may I know the reasons, why these tests were done?
User :   well i have missed my period for 2 months
User :   almost going to b 3
User :   and it went for a physical checkup
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Were you period regular in the past?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok
User :   i've missed periods on and off all the time
Doctor :   May I know your height and weight?
User :   im 5'2 127lbs
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have any skin problems such as dryness of skin, palpitations?
Doctor :   Do you have pain abdomen, constipation/ recurrent loose stools?
User :   no no skin issues
User :   sometimes i have pain around my pelvic area
User :   once ina while
User :   sharp pain
User :   but it comes and goes
User :   not daily
User :   its probably more like weekly
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   Probably your condition may be related to polycystic ovarian disease,
Doctor :   which can give rise to estrogen hormone disturbances.
Doctor :   You would need further evaluations
Doctor :   an ultrasound of the abdomen may all be required.
Doctor :   You would have to consult an gynaecologist for these evaluations and for further treatment.
Doctor :   It seems you have moved out of the chat window. Please log in back if you have medical queries.

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor